Proper LCD display for X68000?

Started by cr4zymanz0r, May 24, 2013, 12:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cr4zymanz0r

There's two concerns I have with using a LCD display on a X68000.

1.) Finding a monitor that supports 15khz, 24khz, and 31khz (X68000 uses all 3, correct?). This post seems to show some LCD monitors that will support all 3: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45926. All the ones I saw were widescreen monitors. I'd prefer 4:3 but I don't know if I can be that picky.

2.) This issue is more important. I tried my X68000 on 4 or 5 different LCD monitors and they all had the same issue: I couldn't adjust the vertical 'width'. This meant that most if not every game I tried would either cut off the top of the screen, the bottom, or both. It's a pretty normal feature on CRT monitors to be able to 'squash' the image vertically, but apparently it's a niche feature for LCDs.

BlueBMW

The x68000 outputs some very unusual resolutions and LCDs being fixed resolution displays have trouble scaling them properly.  Its expensive but the Micomsoft xpc-4 works absolutely amazing with the x68000.

kamiboy

The biggest concern with using an LCD monitor with something from that era is that they tend to make everything look like ass.

If visual fidelity is anything but a remote concern then a Multisync CRT is ones only choice really. I wish I was not forced to rid myself of my NEC XM29.

alamone

The XRGB-mini is also a pretty good solution, it will handle 15/24/31 and scale up to 1080P, and it does not cut off any of the picture, but it adds some processing lag (1-2 frames). If you don't want to change your monitor, this is probably the easiest route, although you will have to combine the H/V sync as Csync into the RGB input (I use an Extron RGB box for this).

The Mitsubishi models seem to be pretty good at getting the whole screen and have 2x pixel doubling and 4:3 aspect ratio scaling modes. However you'll probably have to import them from Japan.

n

Use Neill Corlett's LCD fix to address issue #2, it's pretty adjustable: http://www.neillcorlett.com/x68000

lydux

:o

Since when Neill Corlett performed x68000 development ? Nice find ! Thanks you ! :)

n

Since I gave Neill my Expert HD. ;)

Neill was part of the early western X68000 community in the late 90s back when AlbX and a few others were trying to convince him to write an X68000 emulator. True story.

caius

Cool!I never knew Neil Corlett - father of the Starscream 68000 core -  was into X68000!
Amazing his MEMTEST68K, I going to  try it!