Two cheap x68000s, who wants em! -- ON HOLD!

Started by BlueBMW, May 20, 2013, 06:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBMW

Both units are on hold!

Original model with 2mb ram (1mb onboard, 1mb internal expansion)
No cables, no keyboard, no video adapter. I'll throw in copies of the disks for Dracula (seen running in the pics)

All I have done to this one is replace the SRAM battery, everything else is still original (including the power supply) It runs fine, but I suspect at some point you'll want to do something with the power supply. Though these power supplies don't seem to fail as much as the "tetris block" power supplies in the ace/expert/xvi/030 models. Bottom line, I've got too many x68000s to fix up and I'd rather spend my time on the newer units. I'll be happy to try and answer any repair questions down the road, but I don't have time to offer repair services later.

Asking $150 + shipping. Its cheap because its as is and its 26 years old.

If you want an original keyboard with it add $60.

Also have an expert to sell too.

2mb Ram, swapped ATX power supply, SRAM battery replaced, video board caps changed.

Image has a slight twitch to it, worse when floppy drives are being accessed.  I think its related to the ATX supply not filtering as well as the stock one.   Not too noticeable, but I'll sell the unit cheaper because of it.  Floppy drives have been relubed and recapped.

Asking $200 for this one, only because of the good floppy drives.

Will include a keyboard for $60, but I've only got the one extra keyboard so whoever gets it first gets it! :P

Martymcfly

Wow, great deal there!  I'm sure plenty of people will want to jump on this.

Eddyiori

If still have any available I like to buy one.

Corummo

Hi there.
I'm new to this boards, and I joined mainly to reply this thread. :)
I felt in love with Sharp X68000 series, and I'd like to have one in my collection.
You can watch my humble collection on my (almost inactive) blog: http://www.bitsndust.com

@BlueBMW: If you're willing to ship to Italy, and still have one of these machines on hold, I'd like to purchase one.
If so, please drop me a private message to get an agreement on total amount of this transaction.
Regards.

caius

Hi Corummo and welcome to this wondeful community!
I'm from Italy (non scrivo in italiano altrimenti gli altri non mi capiscono) , too.I have a beautiful X68000 PRo Model, its PSU need some repair job otherwise it's perfect, I also bought a memory expansion to bring it to 2MB.

P.S.
Are you, pehaps, friend of Stefano, another great italian arcade collector?

Corummo

Hi caius. Glad to exchange some info with people from my same country. :)
Quote from: caius on July 02, 2013, 06:43:21 AM
Are you, pehaps, friend of Stefano, another great italian arcade collector?
I actually know a couple of Stefano, but mainly by email.
I got in contact with a guy who left Italy for living in Japan.
I'm trying to get an X68000 trough his presence on territory, trying to avoid auction intermediation companies, of whom I read several bad reviews here and there. :)
Have you some hint for purchasing this wonderful machine from our country?

EDIT: about PSU restoration, buying a fanless mini/pico-atx PSU is a viable option? Also to get both 110/220 AC compatibility.

lydux

EDIT: about PSU restoration, buying a fanless mini/pico-atx PSU is a viable option? Also to get both 110/220 AC compatibility.
It is ! It's the way I use : a custom PCB with the original dimensions, so that fit within the original PSU case. The pcb have very few components : an inverter, a female ATX connector, and a bunch of plugs for outputs voltages. A cheap pico-psu fit perfectly inside and the input power jack is located  in place of the ground screw. Then an external 120w power brick finish the job. Of course, the original power coord have been removed.

Corummo

Interesting solution.
I'm a freaking order maniac, so I ask: can't you fit a power brick inside the case, plugging its wall source to the original power cable, getting an effective, space-saving, dual AC compliant, top-class elegant solution? :D

More important tech side question: what are the power thresholds of the original PSU?
What's the peak in terms of power absorption? 60-70W?
If so, a typical 100-120W Pico-ATX PSU would be absolutely perfect.

lydux

I'm a freaking order maniac, so I ask: can't you fit a power brick inside the case, plugging its wall source to the original power cable, getting an effective, space-saving, dual AC compliant, top-class elegant solution?
Might be a bit difficult, but not impossible. By sacrificing the hard drive space, and the original PSU, I guess... I don't really know. Some guys here do this, but using a flex-ATX psu in place of. But keep in mind that most power brick are only one AC input voltage compliant.

More important tech side question: what are the power thresholds of the original PSU?
What's the peak in term of power absorption? 60-70W?
Well I've never done measurement for this. And it depends on the model you have, internal addons, and actual state (both floppy drives running at same time are power consumming). A stock twin-tower one might be around 50-60W, while Compact models are a bit lower : about 40W.
Now, assuming a fully equipped twin-tower model (let's say hard drive, RAM addons, FPU board and another random addons board) could reach 90W, so assume 100W in peak.

The pico-psu I use are given for 90W, but that's just a theorical value. Most of the job is done by the external power brick, my first one were rated 60W and is now dead (it was a really cheap one). My newer is 120W with builtin fan, and seems to work well.

Corummo

Many thanks for your useful advice.
Now I "only" have to purchase an X68000. :D

EDIT: as a power brick, I was thinkering about one of these: http://www.futurashop.it/index.php?route=product/product&path=4002_3009_711&product_id=4410
As you may notice, its source may be between 100 and 240 VAC.
Coupled to a mini-atx psu (like one of these: http://www.mini-box.com/Nano-Power-Adapter-for-VIA-Nano-ITX-Mainboards) it could fit the X68000 standard case.

EDIT2: Bingo!!! --> http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-120-102W-power-kit

caius

OK, guys.I'll try first to repair the original model , if I will fail or take too much long I will consider alternative solutions like the pico PSU mod by Master Lydux!
Corummo, you mean Sefano a.k.a. Cpstevex (he lives in Japan and sells arcade japanese stuff), I mean another Stefano (his surname begins with R and ends with i)
Anyway let me know if you are interested in my X68000 Pro.

Corummo

No, I never met the Stefano you're referring to. :)
Anyway, I'm going to buy an X68000 Super trough my japanese contact.
It won't be cheap, and it won't have a keyboard.
I'd be interested in a "titanium" keyboard and, if your price will be reasonable, why not, in a second machine to collect. :)
Please feel free to submit your offer by PM. I'm seriously  going to evaluate it.

BlueBMW

Both of these systems are claimed and are not available.

Corummo

Thanks for your reply.
Any chance to get a spare original keyboard?
I don't care about the color, although a titanium one would be the best option.

BlueBMW

I'm actually all out of original keyboards too.  I had a pretty big pile a while back, but alas, they're all gone already :(

Corummo

This news made me feel like a sad panda. :(
Thanks anyway and, please, notify me in case you'll have a black keyboard again.