X68000 Best Possible Rig

Started by famiac, February 05, 2015, 06:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famiac

Hey all! So i just finished putting together my x68000 puzzle.

My current set up consists of:

Sharp X68000 Expert with internal HDD, XPanderIV, and Xellent30s installed
XSIMM10, SX-68M2, and TS-6BGA boards installed
CM-64 and SC-55 for MIDI
CZ-605D original monitor

What could i possibly do to better this set up without completely replacing hardware? (I know 605D isn't the highest res monitor, but it looks great anyway)

emerald danjon

famiac

Thanks! It took a couple years to gather the funds and find the opportunities to buy the gear

Anybody know anything about 68040/68060?

SuperDeadite

It's very very hard to find loose these days, but the BF-68PRO CRT Filter is a nice extra to have.  It's really just a piece of darkened plexi that goes over the monitor like on an arcade cab.  I find the original monitors tend to look a bit washed out, but with the filter, the colors look perfect.  Everyone I've ever seen for sale has come included with a monitor, that's how I got mine.

The other must have items would be controllers:  TrackBall Mouse, and Cyberstick are essential items.  The Dual D-pad controller and Pac-Land controllers are nice to have too, as is the Cameltry paddle contraption.

Also a few more MIDI modules.  Since you have a CM-64, pick up the PCM expansion cards SN-U110-07 (Electric Guitar) and SN-U110-10 (Rock Drums) for it.  Gemini Wing and Choujin support both of these, and they are totally worth the cheap price they go for.  Also while not as cheap, Group X supports the Yamaha SY22/TG33, and Motos supports the Korg M1.   I'd also recommend a better GM module, as the SC-55's pure GM sound sounds like ass, the GM only games like Daimakaimura and the SFII's really benefit from a better module.

I do not have an M1, but I do have the PCM cards and an SY22.  I have videos of those games in action on youtube if you want to hear what the unique hardware does.

And if you are truly insane, Fantasy Zone supports the 3D Glasses.

From my research, the 040 is totally not worth it.  As for the 060, well you could run Road Blaster and Thunder Storm at 15fps with it.....  But not really worth it, when you just put the exact same disk in your normal windows computer and play both games at a proper 30fps..

famiac

Ahhh thanks a ton superdeadite! I knew about the pcm cards so i'm hunting for a good deal. It'll be a while before i buy a new monitor, but i should br fine with the ts-6bga for now.

Hehe I'm going to build an adapter to use the famicom 3D glasses on x68k since i found a diagram.

eidis

Hi Famiac !

Could you please take hi-res pictures of your expansion boards from both sides and upload them to the FTP ? I'm especially interested in the TS-6BGA. Thank you in advance and...

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

famiac

Definitely! I'll do that.

I think someone already gor the xsimm, so i'll take pics of the ts-6bga and some other scsi board i got