Tandy CM-11

Started by dethbox, March 17, 2004, 07:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dethbox

Am I wasting my time trying to use this monitor? A little spec. info to chew on...

Scanning Frequency:
  Horizontal...........................................15.701 Hz +/- 500 Hz
  Vertical...............................................60 Hz +/- 1.0 Hz

I have gotten the SMS to display a playable image on this monitor, playable but not enjoyable. The image is stable both horizontally and vertically, but the colors are all garbage.

Thanks.

benzaldehyde

Frequencies are right. However, if your colors are bad, it might just be an plain-old beat-up monitor. Finding one with a good frequency range is one thing; whether or not it works is the other.

dethbox

As far as I can tell the monitor works fine, when hooked up to a computer that is. The image is nice, crisp and clear. Any thoughts on that?

benzaldehyde

Sounds like you may have a digital monitor there. What kind of computer do you use with it?

dethbox

Ive used the monitor with many a computer, basically anything with an open ISA slot will work. I dont think it is a digital monitor. Let me check the spec sheet again...

The spec sheet ain't telling me anything usefull. Some google hunting is telling me that it may be a CGA monitor, could be! It says "High Resolution RGB" monitor on the back. Another thing google said...

Optional Extras:
     $699.00   CM-11 High-Resolution RGBI Colour Monitor
     13-inch screen, 640 � 200 pixels

That was for some system from 1989. So this monitor has to be atleast that old.

NFG

RGBI is digital (the I is for Intensity, a brightness signal that only digital monitors use.

dethbox

So basically ive payed $4 for a worthless RGB monitor? Please tell me it is so useless that I may aswell kick it or put a hammer through it. Thanks.

benzaldehyde

Yup, I'm afraid it's worthless. Don't worry, most of us make the same mistake his first time (mine was $15). It's only good for old computers like the Commodore 64/128, in which it was used as a rather shitty hi-res mode. Luckily, this format dies a quick death, though leaving an inundation of worthless monitors lying around.  :angry: