IS Nitro Capture - RGB Output

Started by Shou, September 13, 2011, 02:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shou

Anyone aware how to output RGB from the IS Nitro Capture (DS to display dev device)? I've hooked up Famicom style composite and s-video cables to the unit with no issue. When I use an official RGB cable, I only get audio. The unit is obviously doing some conversion to NTSC signals and it was made for capture/display so it must be doing RGB natively somewhere on the board.

Would appreciate any advice.
become history

NFG

I don't know about that device in particular, but I do know that a lot of hardware can do composite and svideo without ever having RGB first (like the 3DO, like the GameCube).  It's entirely possible that they do digital to svideo, or YUV or something.

imparanoic

i presume that is nitro capture is ntsc? are you using a super famicom rgb cable SHVC-010 or pal gamecube/n64 rgb as the wiring and pin layout are different

Shou

Quote from: imparanoic on September 14, 2011, 02:12:01 PM
i presume that is nitro capture is ntsc? are you using a super famicom rgb cable SHVC-010 or pal gamecube/n64 rgb as the wiring and pin layout are different

It's NTSC and I'm using Japanese SFC cables. The unit uses a GC PSU for power and was made obviously made during the GC heyday so maybe it is using the PAL wiring. I'll give it a shot!
become history

ApolloBoy

It might be like the GBA Transverter where the RGB lines from the video encoder aren't connected to the AV out. Have you taken a look inside the Nitro yet?

Shou

Quote from: imparanoic on September 14, 2011, 02:12:01 PM

Tried a PAL GC RGB cable, didn't work.
become history

Shou

Quote from: ApolloBoy on September 17, 2011, 03:46:02 AM
It might be like the GBA Transverter where the RGB lines from the video encoder aren't connected to the AV out. Have you taken a look inside the Nitro yet?

I opened it up to find 3 boards sandwiched together but didn't want to go any further since it's such an expensive unit...rather find someone else who has experience using one or documentation than experimenting.
become history

Artemio

It's been some years form the post, but I guess that anyone looking for this information will find it here.

I got one of this units yesterday, and opened it up to check if RGB was possible. There is good and bad news,

It uses the MAV-NUS composite/s-vide encoders, just as the later models of N64. So theer is nowhere to tap the RGB lines from, however you can do teh N64 RGB DAC mod for both outputs: http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2563.0

philexile

Hello, I recently acquired an IS NITRO CAPTURE unit in a trade. It works well and I was hoping to RGB mod it when I read here that some units used 2x MAV-NUS chips. I planned to use Tim Worthington's N64RGB boards.

Unfortunately my IS NITRO CAPTURE includes two of the AVE N-DOL chips typically found in the NTSC Nintendo Gamecubes.

I wanted to check to see if anyone here knew if there was a reason why some IS NITROs use the AVE chips, while others use the MAVs. For instance: do the IS NITRO EMULATORS use the MAV chips – or perhaps just the early IS NITROs produced use the "older" MAV chip – or maybe its just completely random.

Artemio, do you have a CAPTURE or an EMULATOR – and does it have a DS Lite or Phat attached?

Any information would be appreciated.

Artemio

Hello,

It is a Capture unit with a Phat DS attached.