Help for a Newbie on his PVM-2030

Started by zelkian, July 12, 2011, 02:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelkian

Hello all, I've been lurking around these forums for a little while getting lots of good information on how to make a 25-pin CMPTR to VGA cord, but  I can't seem to get it to work. Also, I'm very new to soldering and wiring.

Like I said, I got a PVM-2030 for $20(yay) and my goal is to hook up a computer to it for emulation.

I saw this post : http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4028.0

I followed the diagram exactly how it was shown, although I did notice the Hysnc, R, G, & B were off by 1 pin by comparing it to the PVM-2030 manual, so I adjusted accordingly.

I tried soldering the wires with 25-pin and VGA connectors, but I can not seem to solder without burning something or making a mess of the solder. Then I tried crimping and that seemed to be a lot easier for me and I would able to set that up. But when I plugged the connecters in I got no signal at all to the PVM. I tried a few more times to make another cable assuming that maybe I just did a crappy job, but no luck again.

So, I was wondering if someone could possibly make one for me (25-pin from PVM-2030 to 15-pin VGA on computer), I'd pay of course, or refer me to someone who could make one for me.

I'd be willing to try a go at it again, but I think I'd need a detailed guide so I know what I'm doing is right.

RGB32E

Have you setup soft15kHz on your PC yet?  You have to get your PC to output a 15kHz signal or else the PVM-2030 won't display a picture.

zelkian

Yes actually, but I'm not entirely sure how to tell if it is working or not. I'm running Windows 7 and an Radeon X850 card.

I noticed on the wiki for Soft15khz that 640x480 at 60hz interlaced was 15khz so I tried to set that. Aren't the resolutions suppose to show up in windows though? I still had to use powerstrip to try and set that.

I've heard some people say Soft15khz works on Windows 7, other say it doesn't, so I'm not sure if I need to do something like switch back to xp.

I'm still sure it was my amateur attempt to wire and solder as to why it wasn't working though.

My main interest is being able to get an actual connection between the PC and PVM. So would I still see something even if it was distorted on the PVM if it wasn't on 15khz?

zelkian

Just thought I'd post an update since I was able to accomplish most of what I wanted.

Basically I had someone with expertise make me VGA to 25-pin so my computer could be directly connected to the PVM. After that I loaded up soft15khz and I was able to run in 321x240. Then it was just a matter of tweaking around the emulators to get them to run in a resolution close to what is native for each system and I got the info by basically searching around forums.

Here is the result:

Like I said I'm happy with the results and I got pretty much everything to work. The only thing I can't seem to lock down is the turbografx resolution. No matter what resolution I tell it to run in I get distortion when there is scrolling horizontally or vertically. Sometimes I can stop the horizontal distortion or the vertical, but not both at the same time. Is there one resolution I can use for all turbografx games or a some configuration with an emulator that would fix that problem? I've tried pretty much every turbografx emulator I think.

c0dehunter

I would like to know if there is a way to open these monitors up and adjust the picture from inside.

Game-Tech.us

Quote from: c0dehunter on August 04, 2012, 11:39:50 AM
I would like to know if there is a way to open these monitors up and adjust the picture from inside.
There's always a way...
This vid might blow your mind!

c0dehunter

Thank you! Here are the screenshots of my PVM 2030:

Here are the screenshots:

Geometry is OFF 01 by c0dehunter, on Flickr
As you can see, the red markers on top, right and bottom are missing, so the geometry needs to be adjusted.

Geometry is OFF 02 by c0dehunter, on Flickr
Again it needs adjustment.

Geometry is OFF 03 by c0dehunter, on Flickr

I would like to adjust the "bent" screen on the edges.

Are there images of a PVM opened? I can only see 4 screws connecting the back panel. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The video description says "caution, high-voltage". Can a novice adjust these monitors?

Game-Tech.us

Quote from: c0dehunter on August 09, 2012, 05:08:05 PM
Are there images of a PVM opened? I can only see 4 screws connecting the back panel. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The video description says "caution, high-voltage". Can a novice adjust these monitors?

Cool, how did you generate those?
I had found a guy on youtube that explained how to work on monitors, but it was not pvm specific.
Very informative and long and boring, I still haven't watched all of the first of the series of 4...