Modifying a 6-button Genesis/MD controller for an X68000?

Started by netwalka, March 02, 2011, 12:09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

netwalka

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=controls:x686button

Re-connect the wires in the following way:
Cable side  Controller side  
Black (#1)  Gray (#7)  
Gray (#7)  White (#9)  
White (#9)  Black (#1)  

Is there anyone knows which color is for which pin from 9PIN D-SUB connector?

Anyone who succeeded this MOD?

I have a replica MD 6 button pad, but the color sequences are totally different from the original, No molex con.  :'(

I tried according to above description based from color, but... yes, of course, failed. :-[

NFG

This is exactly why I don't like step-by-step guides, they only work until you find a pad that's any kind of different, and you're screwed.

Get a multimeter and work out which pin is which, then make the mod accordingly.  Easy!  =)

netwalka

Quote from: Lawrence on March 02, 2011, 07:46:40 AM
This is exactly why I don't like step-by-step guides, they only work until you find a pad that's any kind of different, and you're screwed.

Get a multimeter and work out which pin is which, then make the mod accordingly.  Easy!  =)

I appreciate your interest.

But it's not that simple even with a multimeter.

There's no description for color cable's function.

besides, my replica pad doesn't have 74157 chip.

That's the problem and why I want to know which color is for which pin.

Who has original sega pad will know that....

NFG

You don't need a description for each colour, you need a multimeter.  It doesn't matter what the chip is, 'cause you're only concerned about the connector.  The contents of the pad aren't relevant at all.

netwalka

Quote from: Lawrence on March 02, 2011, 09:43:32 AM
You don't need a description for each colour, you need a multimeter.  It doesn't matter what the chip is, 'cause you're only concerned about the connector.  The contents of the pad aren't relevant at all.

I have a multimeter. :D

And know MD's joystick pin out.

Numbers you see in the picture is not 9 pin D-sub pin number.

I guess theres's no cue for function of the Black, Grey and White lines.

Maybe I don't catch what you mean....

Could you show me HOW with multimeter in more detail?

NFG

Because you know the function of every hole in the connector, attach your multimeter to a hole (for example, GND) and the other end to the wires in the pad, until you find the one that beeps.  That's GND, and you make a note: RED = GND (or whatever).  Then you stick your meter in the +5V hole, and do the same thing.

netwalka

Quote from: Lawrence on March 02, 2011, 10:08:43 AM
Because you know the function of every hole in the connector, attach your multimeter to a hole (for example, GND) and the other end to the wires in the pad, until you find the one that beeps.  That's GND, and you make a note: RED = GND (or whatever).  Then you stick your meter in the +5V hole, and do the same thing.

Lawrence, thanks for your help.

Even though I knew how to use multimeter basically and the cable's function of my replica MD pad,  I didn't have any idea how to progress to next stage.

But I get to know now. I guess I missed some of the important information from the first picture of linked wiki page.

The schematics shows the difference between MD pad and X68000 pad "behind". But I neglected it.  Shame, shame. ::)

If I succeed, I will describe the method by Pin number basis, not by cable color basis.

Thanks again, Lawrence.

netwalka

I made a simple convertor for MD 6 button joypad to use with X68000.

Actually it was just following the MSX/2 button Atari pad pinout except that the SELECT line goes to COM Pin.

Then the Super Street Fighter 2 works perfect. You just need to choose CON1 MODE - CPSF-MD at the option mode.

And Garou Densetsu special works without changing option.  Even blue start button on the pad functions.

emerald danjon

hello all,good work,for me this is better than modify  a pad,thanks for share.

Dal

Today (well yesterday), I took the same approach as netwalka and made two small converters. Seems a much better solution that the more drastic controller hack.

It works very well, I made two so StreetFighter 2 can be played as it was meant to (beating seven bells of cr@% out of your best buddy of course).

I'm not happy with the cheap controllers I bought though, so will look for better ones.

Thanks Netwalka if you're still on here.