Pin-out on a classic xbox AV-out port?

Started by macabre, November 02, 2010, 07:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macabre

I'm wanting to use the parts of an old xbox for something fun. What I want to do is use the plug from the classic xbox system itself to wire the 5 cords from a component cable to (within my project's shell), so that I can use an xbox component cable instead of having 5 ports on the back of my project.

Here are two pictures of what I'm looking at;

The big shiny thing I want to salvage, and the bottom of it, showing the 24 pins.

NFG

macabre

Hmm, thats a step in the right direction (THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!).

Is there any knowledge that shows what pins are in what order from underneath of the port? (the pins I'd be soldering to that is*)

I'm assuming "GND" means ground, which means I'll be making 10 connections. But what i'm not too sure about is the "mode" option that they were speaking of.

I literally just want to rip off the port and pins and insert that into my project, and use its connection and nothing else. Will doing so work, or will I need to make some sort of connection with those 18 & 19 mod pins (as those are required for the "component" mod to be available)?

NFG

Mode is a series of switches that changes the output format (composite, component, RGB etc). 

You can easily work out which pin connects to which PCB connection with a multimeter.  I don't have one in front of me to do it for you, sorry.

macabre

Quote from: Lawrence on November 02, 2010, 10:08:05 AM
Mode is a series of switches that changes the output format (composite, component, RGB etc). 

So that part can be ignored?  ;D

NFG

Well, since you're using it as nothing more than a connector, you can use it for anything you want.  Those pins aren't special once they're disconnected from the console.

macabre

Thank you very much! Now my dreamcast enhancement unit will be much prettier having just one plug instead of 5  :)