Is this RGB cable for real, or is it a fake?

Started by giantgonzolez, February 22, 2004, 11:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantgonzolez

This RGB cable claims that it allows you to hook up multiple game consoles to the same RGB monitor.
http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/psx2hard/spiderrgb.htm
Let's say I buy an RGB monitor with a 4 BNC RGB input(R,G,B, Composite Sync), then I buy a Scart to 4BNC adaptor cable like this see pic below, and also buy a scart coupler to connect the scart end of the spider cable to the scart end of the scart to 4BNC cable and then connect the bnc plugs to the RGB monitor.
Will this give me RGB from North American systems?
If this really works then does it mean that you can get RGB without sodering and mods to those systems?

Here's a pic of the SCART to 4BNC cable I mentioned
fujifilm.com.sg/storage/photos/gigantor/HOME/667a8233f5e0411f02d5543db73ee99a/Scart_to_4BNC_cable.gif

Here's what a scart coupler looks like.
http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr3557.html

If this method will work, then it will make RGB gaming easy enough that even the average Joe will be able to do it.

NFG

The problem isn't with the physical connection, it's with the signal timing.  Very few modern VGA monitors support 15kHz horizontal sync.

Also, you're confused.  The only post-NES console released in North America I can think of that doesn't output RGB is the 3DO.  No soldering required for the rest.

giantgonzolez

QuoteThe problem isn't with the physical connection, it's with the signal timing.  Very few modern VGA monitors support 15kHz horizontal sync.

Also, you're confused.  The only post-NES console released in North America I can think of that doesn't output RGB is the 3DO.  No soldering required for the rest.
Thanks for the reply.
I've actually read all the articles on your website before so I know about the 15.75khz horizontal sync frequency.
I was talking about an RGB monitor like this(see attachment) that has bnc type R,G, B, and Composite Sync inputs and a 15.75khz horizontal sync frequency.
The really important thing I wanted to know is for which North American Systems do the Scart RGB European cables work with.
For example does the European Master System RGB Scart Cable Work with the North American Master System1, does the PS2 European RGB Scart Cable work with the American PS2, etc.
BTW, here's a better pic of the cable I was talking about.
I think if it works, then this kind of cable can make things much easier for people to get into RGB gaming.
It's a scart to 4 bnc cable.
It has a scart plug on one end, and it has a 4 bnc plugs(red, green, blue, and composite sync) on the other end.
http://www.amabilidade2002.com/scart4bncamsb.jpg

That display looks cool, but does it produce scanlines?

grey

Since I've also been inquiring about that spider SCART cable of late - any word on this mysterious source for SCART-F <-> BNC connectors?

I've been thinking that once I get that spider cable, I'll still need to build a female SCART -> 5BNC + 2RCA (5BNC for RGBHV for my CRT inputs, and 2 RCA for L/R audio) problem is, I can't even seem to find a source for female SCART connectors in the US, at least not locally in any shops (and living near Silly Con Valley gives one many choices for strange cables and connectors in shops ;)

So I figured I was going to have to order parts from Europe anyway - if doing so, I might as well just try to order the whole blooming premade cable from a joint that might make something similar.  I don't immediately see anything quite right from www.amabilidade2002.com, but perhaps others have had experience with them and could comment?

(some post posting digging)

Looks like amabilidade or whatever has minimum orders of 100 on that part, zoinks!

But doing some additional digging, I found something which might be a closer match anyway:

http://www.keene.co.uk/pages/cat/11lea/111-2.html#SGB

(rev. 2 edit Herm apparently the above URL is causing problems for some friends, but it turns out they have a site devoted mostly to just that product line, here:)

http://www.syncblaster.com/

SCART to 5BNC (rgbhv)  Looks like it's a male scart connector, so presumably one would still need a gender changer.  It apparently already has some sync separators and amplifiers built into the cable.  Added complexity, but maybe worth it?  A bit spendy (60pounds or so).  Also, for my purposes, it has no RCA audio leads, which well... actually for everyone's purposes, is kind of useless on most consoles, since you then have potentially great RGB signal for video from your consoles using that spider lead, but you won't have any audio - d'oh!  Still, closer... it's looking like I'm still perhaps best of with the DIY cable approach. :(

giantgonzolez

QuoteSince I've also been inquiring about that spider SCART cable of late - any word on this mysterious source for SCART-F <-> BNC connectors?

I've been thinking that once I get that spider cable, I'll still need to build a female SCART -> 5BNC + 2RCA (5BNC for RGBHV for my CRT inputs, and 2 RCA for L/R audio) problem is, I can't even seem to find a source for female SCART connectors in the US, at least not locally in any shops (and living near Silly Con Valley gives one many choices for strange cables and connectors in shops ;)

So I figured I was going to have to order parts from Europe anyway - if doing so, I might as well just try to order the whole blooming premade cable from a joint that might make something similar.  I don't immediately see anything quite right from www.amabilidade2002.com, but perhaps others have had experience with them and could comment?

(some post posting digging)

Looks like amabilidade or whatever has minimum orders of 100 on that part, zoinks!

But doing some additional digging, I found something which might be a closer match anyway:

http://www.keene.co.uk/pages/cat/11lea/111-2.html#SGB

(rev. 2 edit Herm apparently the above URL is causing problems for some friends, but it turns out they have a site devoted mostly to just that product line, here:)

http://www.syncblaster.com/

SCART to 5BNC (rgbhv)  Looks like it's a male scart connector, so presumably one would still need a gender changer.  It apparently already has some sync separators and amplifiers built into the cable.  Added complexity, but maybe worth it?  A bit spendy (60pounds or so).  Also, for my purposes, it has no RCA audio leads, which well... actually for everyone's purposes, is kind of useless on most consoles, since you then have potentially great RGB signal for video from your consoles using that spider lead, but you won't have any audio - d'oh!  Still, closer... it's looking like I'm still perhaps best of with the DIY cable approach. :(

I've thought of the problem with the lack of regular rca audio plugs on a scart cable too, but I'm thinking that maybe the way to get rid of that problem would be to get a scart switchbox with audio outputs like this(see attachment).
I just hope that those RCA audio jacks on the switchbox are audio OUTPUTS and not audio inputs.