Wells Gard. D9200 -> Dreamcast

Started by voona, February 19, 2004, 01:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

voona

Hi all,

Im a bit of a Newb when it comes to this, just asking for some input.
I recently purchased a WG D9200 Arcade monitor! and was wondering on the best way to connect my dreamcast and ps2 for the best image quality. This monitor does Horizontal sync frequency from 15.75 to 31.5 Khz and has vga inputs.

benzaldehyde

Well, you certainly aren't afraid to commit to the hobby, aren't you? ;) For the DC, you can get a VGA Box/Cable that will attach directly to your monitor. The PS2 might require a bit more wrangling, but you can build a PS2 RGB cable with a HD15 plug (available from Radio Shack or anywhere). Look on gamesx.com for details; you'll have to get used to some soldering, though. Best of luck to you.

voona

benzaldehyde, was this a good choice in monitor? I mean will it look better than a tv?

With those VGA Cables, what happens to the audio ?

Cheers

Tom61

QuoteI mean will it look better than a tv?

Other than a high-end HDTV with VGA inputs, it'll look alot better than any TV.

QuoteWith those VGA Cables, what happens to the audio ?

Whatever you want... The DC and PS2 output non-amplified audio, so you're going to need an amp, but that's the only limit. DC VGA boxes usually have RCA or 1/8" stereo outputs. With the PS2 cable, since you're going to have to build it yourself, you can have whatever you want for audio.

benzaldehyde

Yeah, what he said. :)

From what I could tell, you made a good call. While an HDTV is nice, I sometimes feel that televisions are the ones made to an industrial standard, not arcade monitors. ;) You'd have to pay upwards of $1500 for a comparable setup. You might have to build an enclosure for your monitor, though; the CRT has an electron accelerator that operates upwards of 10,000V. It wouldn't be good to go around feeling up the charging capacitors. :blink: Video is distinct from audio (i.e. it isn't carried in the VGA cable), so anyway you wish to wire things up is fine.

Edit: I should note my use of $5 words is a little liberal; I'm only basically versed in the inner workngs of CRTs.

cutty_sark

Whoa. Congrats! That's a hell of a monitor.
I'm going through a similar thing right now, hooking up my WG arcade monitor to work with consoles.
If you have older consoles you might want to consider making an adapter to a euro scart female connector. This would let you use almost any classic console in RGB with off-the-shelf scart cables.

Good luck and be really careful what you touch in back of that monitor, even when it's turned off.