NES - Audio buzzing on original model

Started by sheath, February 22, 2010, 10:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheath

I have an original front loading NES with a problem I have been unable to solve.  The composite audio output buzzes unless I wiggle with the cables.  If it helps at all, the MODEL NO is NES-001 and the copyright is 1985, though that doesn't seem to be relevant to when and where this unit was manufactured. 

I can get the audio to stop buzzing by readjusting the composite cables every time I start a game.  It doesn't seem to matter where I leave them, the next game will buzz anyway, especially on title screens with bright backgrounds. 

It all seems like it should be easy to fix, but I haven't found anything obvious on the board, or with the capacitors, outside of the shielded composite out  box.

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

l_oliveira

The solder connection or the connector itself has been broken so the grounding side of the audio plug is getting disconnected. 

Have you tested different cables ?

Can you disassemble the system and take a picture of the circuit board inside the metal box? The bottom lid is easy to remove.

sheath

I will try to get to this in the next week or so.  I was hoping to not have to take apart the the shielding box, but I will do so if we are sure it can be repaired.  Otherwise this NES is in good condition cosmetically. 

Since I'm going to have the whole thing apart, is there a way to get carts to play more reliably aside from replacing the cartridge port?

Scott

sheath

Actually, I have already tried soldering the joints on the bottom of the board below the AV out unit to no effect.  Is there something specific I should look for within the shielding box?  If there is not, I will probably just trade this unit in with an RF cable and snag another one.

Thanks,
Scott

l_oliveira

You think you can record the audio and post here ?

sheath

I can, but it's nothing remarkable.  Try to record audio from a Genesis with a 32X hooked up and you will hear the same buzzing sound in the recording (even though the actual output doesn't seem to have it on the 32X's case.  I'll post a video tomorrow showing the offending buzz of my NES console if I can.

Scott