News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

A Day in Akihabara

Started by NFG, June 29, 2003, 11:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NFG

So today I spend the afternoon (instead of the morning <poke poke>) with SevenForce in Akihabara.  Played a good ten rounds of Ketsui, which was a real treat.  It seems Sega Club dialed up the difficulty tho, I wasn't doing nearly as well as I did when I played it at the Taito arcade in Shinjuku.  No matter, it's still f**king brilliant.  Bravo Cave.

Had a chance to see F-Zero AC, which is gobsmackingly good looking.  Didn't play it tho, as 7Force hadn't shown up yet (poke) and I didn't want to play a 4-player racer by myself.  It looks the motherfucking bomb tho, with super-smooth graphics and play that seriously reminds me of my beloved Hydro Thunder (which, BTW, is the best damned thing since Robotron - forget the console ports, the AC HT 0wnz).

Checked out all the old game haunts, didn't find much to buy, but I'm pleased to see some more reasonable pricing in places.  There were even a few <gasp> bargains, which is very unusual of late for akiba.

Bought a super-lovely GigaWing2 poster, and a couple of Battle Bakraid POPs for someone.  Also some wires, shrink-tube and a switch for 7Force's GC, which I'll be modding next week.  And...  Yeah, I guess that covers it.  Lovely day for girl watching, I was surrounded all day long.

There was talk of heading out to see the SNK v Capcom: Chaos game on test in <somewhere> but I was pretty bagged by the end of the day so I bought some Dr. Pepper and headed home.

Jobf

Went to a car boot this morning, basking in the glorious sunshine. Didn't see much of note: A boxed PSX for 20quid, some DC games for 4quid each, PSX games and a few common megadrive titles including some Jap imports.

I guess I should get up earlier, but I'm more of a evening man than a morning one..

Seven Force

That was definitely cool. Thanks a bunch.

exodus

You liked Ketsui that much?  I thought it was a mediocre barely-a-derivation of Dodonpachi, myself.  It's fun, but terribly average, and has no aims to distinguish itself.

Just...my crazy ideas.

Haohmaru

At this point, it seem more likely that I'll develop wings and fly backwards than ever spending the day in Akihabara... :angry:  

NFG

QuoteYou liked Ketsui that much? I thought it was a mediocre barely-a-derivation of Dodonpachi, myself. It's fun, but terribly average, and has no aims to distinguish itself.
Well I really dislike the DDP series as a whole, the concept of memorizing things to achieve score combos, holding off on shooting to keep chains alive and things of that nature piss me off (Let's just not discuss my love for Ikaruga at this time ok?).  Ketsui is more 'pure'.  I can sit down, thrash around, and stick my nose into shit for a greater score, I don't have to memorize anything more than boss patterns, which is the way I likes it.

Aside from the manufacturer and the subsequent similiarity in presentation, graphics and sound I don't see any real relation between Ketsui and DDP.  DDP's fundament is chaining, and as near as I can tell there's no chaining at all in Ketsui.

I think Ketsui has more in common with Dangun Feveron, which is the greatest thing since way back when things were great.  ;)

QuoteAt this point, it seem more likely that I'll develop wings and fly backwards than ever spending the day in Akihabara...
Anytime you wanna just drop on by I'll give you the tour.

L.

exodus

well, we're looking at this from totally opposite directions!  I see DDP as being about survival and finding the path through hell.  And there's more than one path, so it's more organic than you're saying, in my opinion.

If you look at the bullet patterns in Ketsui, I think that they're very similar to DDP's (though less bullets about on the screen), but those homing bastards on your sides take everything out for you, no matter where you are onscreen (I've more to say in that impressions thing, if you happened read it).  So it lets you be sloppy, and just blast.  It's mindless in a bad way.  don't get me wrong, I think it's fun.  but it's not *important*, you know?  

DDP requires a linear zen-ish mindlessness - it requires a commitment and an effort.  So to me, DDP is pure, Ketsui is sloppy.  Know what I mean?

On the other hand, I might be able to *beat* ketsui.  DDP, no way in hell without infinite continues.  I just talk big.