RGB... no more?

Started by katakouzinos, February 11, 2004, 03:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katakouzinos

Please read this post if you think you can help me in a weird problem.

I live in Europe (Greece).

I used to have a Philips 21 inch TV, with one RGB output, which I used for my PS2, Gamecube and X-box. All three consoles looked quite good, with the PS2 having the best picture-quality of all. Crystal clear and crisp colours, the picture was rivaling that of a PC monitor in every way (besides resolution that is).

Recently I bought a new TV. A 29-inch Sony. This one has two RGB outputs, and the RGB signal is activated 2 seconds after clicking the corresponding button on my remote control.

Anyway. the Gamecube looks AWESOME. There is a tiny (super tiny) colour bleed, mostly because you can control the colour adjustments (it seems to be a rule in larger TVs) even though you're in RGB mode -- most TVs "trap" the colour information when you see in RGB mode. This one doesn't.

However, the PS2 and the X-box don't look NEARLY as good as the Gamecube.  The X-box looks plain good, but the PS2 looks totally lame for RGB. It mostly looks like S-video or something. There is a great deal of colour bleed, especially between red and green. And I used the SAME RGB scart cable I always used!!

Before you say anything, I have connected all three consoles ON THE SAME RGB output (the first one) one at a time, and of course, waited to see the "RGB activated" icon on the top left of the screen.

So what gives? What could be possibly the problem? I used the cables I always used, and each time I used a console, I connected it on the first RGB output the TV has (I even tried the second one. The Gamecube rocks, the PS2 sucks -- in picture quality always).

Note that I bought the Gamecube Scart RGB cable from www.goblindirect.co.uk , and it cost about 40 dollars, while the PS2 and the X-box ones were bought in Greece (7-10 dollars each).

Is the volatage inside the PS2 scart cable not good enough for the Sony TV or something? It had super-crystal-clear picture on my Philips. I could say that my Sony TV doesn't have good RGB signal, but then, how do you explain the Gamecube's performance?

Please help me out. I can't figure out what's wrong, and I can't stand to have a new TV with one or two consoles looking actually worse than before...

Vertigo

It just really does all depend on how much your TV likes the cable, my friend.
Some TVs give you a better display with S-Video than RGB, then you try something else on it and you get a better picture in RGB than S-Video.
Certain people thought I was mad to take my RGB modded N64 into a shop to test out the TVs I liked in there, but there was no way I was going to buy a TV that was arsy about RGB.