I found a SCART TV in the US

Started by Agentspikey95, February 03, 2004, 09:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentspikey95

My Business systems teacher has a Philips presentation TV in her classroom, and today when i went around the back of it, i noticed a jungle of wonderful connctors. satereo, composite, VGA, BNC, and all the good stuff. and then i saw it, a 21-pin SCART connector. Weird, i thought this kind of thing didn't exist in the US? It's an american unit, and the connector said Something Fancy name RGB. can anyone clarify this, is  it like some kind of weird professional thing?
Why are you reading this?

dum dum

personaly im not in the US, but you said it was a presentation display so i would assume the manufacturer included it so it could be a complete display solution (or what ever you want to call it). if so, presumably it would also handle PAL video which im guessing is quite uncommon up there?

Agentspikey95

yeah, Nothing is PAL here, aspecially here in florida, where the TV presumably came from because the county school board owns it.

Agentspikey95

Well the TV is a philips MMS? the model is PD502AC1, and the product is AG039611110302, and the SCART Connector(it is indeed scart shape) said "CVBS RGB (Audio L and R)"

Agentspikey95

Oddly enough, philips.com doesn't even think this model exists....

NFG

It is possible to edit your posts and add content rather than posting 3 consecutive messages.  ;)

It could be SCART, or it could be Japanese RGB, the connector is the same but the pinout differs.  You probably won't hurt it by plugging in the wrong one for a few seconds to test.

Manufacturer websites rarely list the info you want, sad to say.

Agentspikey95

W#ell sorry about the post thing... and i cant see what it is, because the school board owns it, and i hafta work that whole period

matt

Monitors with scart plugs exist in the US, although they're not common.  I used to have one - a 27" Barco cube monitor, which ran happily with standard-issue scart cables.

RGB input is very common on studio monitors and presentation displays.   Since there's no set RGB connector standard in the US, there's no reason why somebody, especially a European company like Phillips, wouldn't use scart.  There is almost zero chance that it's Japanese RGB.

CVBS is a fancy way of saying composite video.  That just means that the scart plug is wired for both composite and RGB.

*edit* - It's also very possible that the monitor takes PAL.  Many high-end monitors do.

Agentspikey95

yeah, it said "50-60Hz" and also, intersting, even though it had an american 120V cord hardwired in, it said it can accept 120-240v....

Tom61

Not very uncommon, you can get a plug adapter (Radio Shack sells them in the US) that lets you plug it into a European outlet.

ShuckNasty

So you know though...

The only difference between PAL and NTSC is the color standard. 50 and 60 Hz has nothing to do with it, that is a power standard.

BTW... Hitachi makes a few nice multi-system TVs, I own a 19" one that I use in my bedroom.

matt

QuoteThe only difference between PAL and NTSC is the color standard. 50 and 60 Hz has nothing to do with it, that is a power standard.
50 and 60hz are also the vertical sync rates of PAL and NTSC.

You can buy a Sony Trinitron (German Spec) from -

www.world-import.com

Just go to the Sony section in TV's, and its in there somewhere.

There are 3 of them in total.  You need a step-up convertor though for the power.