US/Euro NES Controllers

Started by lilock, January 18, 2006, 06:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilock

The GameSX website shows how to modify a PAL SNES to use american SNES controller.  Now I believe that the NES and SNES controllers are essentially the same.  So does anyone know the corresponding NES mod to allow a PAL NES to use the US NES controllers?  We never got the MKII dog-bone style in europe.  :(  

Vertigo

Just as a matter of interest, have you actually tried using one in the first place?

lilock

Yeah I have tried it.  I've got a US Max pad and two dog-bone pads which all work fine on my Famicom AV but do nothing with my UK NES.

Hadakajime

do you have a mattel version PAL NES?

Link83

Nintendo employed exactly the same 'controller lockout' system on the PAL NES as they did with the PAL SNES. You either need to add two resistors inside all your controllers, or (the better option) bypass the diodes on the controller port circuit inside the PAL NES which will make it compatible with all NES controllers worldwide. Theres a good guide here:-
http://mbrandel.vizionaires.net/?page_id=117
(You can use google translation if youd like to read the text)

Hadakajime

OH MY GOSH THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

I've been looking everywhere for a hack like this!! pity I can't read german  :D that explains why I never found anything...

exactly what i needed. thanks!

TRANSLATION NOTE: German to English

Link83

Glad I could help ;D although I believe its forum member 'Moosmann' who deserves the credit as its his site  ;)

Heres a link to a google translated version if people prefer:-
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://mbrandel.vizionaires.net/%3Fpage_id%3D117&ei=OHPLSd_jJIXSjAf0l_ncCQ&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=2&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://mbrandel.vizionaires.net/%253Fpage_id%253D117%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

I also found this pic a while ago which shows quite clearly the two resistors that were added to the PAL NES controllers:-

Although I still think its best to modify the console rather than every US/Japanese controller you buy!

I still cant quite believe Nintendo tried to region lock all accessories >:( No other company before or since has done this AFAIK. Even Nintendo's video cables were specifically altered for PAL markets.

Just alittle extra info - Nintendo stopped using the 'controller lockout' in about 1994, and PAL SNES consoles made after that usually work fine with US/Japanese controllers with no alterations needed (Although ironically these PAL SNES's are usually much more difficult to 50/60Hz mod)

Oh, and if anyone here happens to have a picture of the rear of a US NES controller port board I would love to see it for comparison...

mark_k

Old thread I know but maybe this info is helpful to someone..?

Quote from: Link83 on March 26, 2009, 10:30:20 PMI still cant quite believe Nintendo tried to region lock all accessories >:( No other company before or since has done this AFAIK. Even Nintendo's video cables were specifically altered for PAL markets.

Just alittle extra info - Nintendo stopped using the 'controller lockout' in about 1994, and PAL SNES consoles made after that usually work fine with US/Japanese controllers with no alterations needed (Although ironically these PAL SNES's are usually much more difficult to 50/60Hz mod)

Oh, and if anyone here happens to have a picture of the rear of a US NES controller port board I would love to see it for comparison...

The US NES doesn't have controller port boards. The pins connect (via wires of course) to the connector on the console main board.

For what it's worth... I think the diodes used in the controller lines for European NES consoles may have been to do with a legal requirement relating to EM/RF interference protection, or maybe some kind of safety feature. Because PAL NES consoles sold in other regions (specifically the Hong Kong version NES) have no controller port boards, just like US NES consoles, and use US-type NES-004 controllers.