Xbox 360 AV Pinout on the Wiki

Started by NFG, May 09, 2009, 05:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NFG

I added the Xbox 360 AV pinout on the wiki.  Surprisingly it's never been in the GameSX knowledge base until now.  I am ashamed.

Anyway, there are a few holes in the information.  I can find almost no indication of the SELECT pins to enable s-video, except for this xbox-scene thread.  The problem is, it indicates a closed switch on two pins that no other site mentions at all except to say that they're unknown.  I'd like to confirm that this is true, 'cause it kind of bothers me that there are FOUR select pins on the connector when only TWO are needed for all the modes, and no other pinout lists more than THREE.

Can anyone add more detail here?

Also, it needs an image for the connector and socket.  =)

l_oliveira

I'm replying to this old topic, because yesterday I attempted making a S-Video cable from a spare Component/AV XBOX360 cable.
Google sent me here (how ironic lol).  Anyway, let me share my experiences with the NFG community:

It was fairly simple and everything went right, but ...

The information added to the wiki (from XBOX-Scene) is wrong .  No surprises here because stuff on X-S are usually posted in a hurry and not verified/tested.

The pins 21 and 23 are outputs and should not be shorted. They have nothing to do with S-Video. Only the three configuration pins are needed to setup the cable type.

After setting the cable type properly I closed the XBOX360 side of the connector. I had Y output through the green wire and C on the red. RCA tips were cut and changed
into the proper S-Video connector. the blue cable was disconnected inside of the XBOX360 connector and then it's tip was removed.

For the cable types,  I checked all cables I have here:

Standard A/V (only CVBS and Stereo audio) -
Pin 28 (ID3) open
Pin 24 (ID2) to GND
Pin 20 (ID1) open

Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable  (Switch set at the TV position)-
Pin 28 (ID3) to GND
Pin 24 (ID2) to GND
Pin 20 (ID1) to GND

Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable  (Switch set at the HDTV position)-
Pin 28 (ID3) to GND
Pin 24 (ID2) open
Pin 20 (ID1) open

Xbox 360 S-Video AV Cable   (This cable is no longer listed at xbox.com, probably is no longer made/sold)-
Pin 28 (ID3) to GND
Pin 24 (ID2) open
Pin 20 (ID1) to GND

Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable-
Pin 28 (ID3) open
Pin 24 (ID2) open
Pin 20 (ID1) to GND

Xbox 360 HDMI Cable  "Optical/RCA Audio adapter" (Toshlink/Analog audio output adapter)-
Pin 28 (ID3) open
Pin 24 (ID2) to GND
Pin 20 (ID1) to GND

I also did not add the 10uF capacitor mentioned on the X-S forum thread. The cable was tested on a TV capture card and on a real 1994-ish JVC TV set.

This is how it did look on the TV capture card:

S-Video

CVBS

P.S.: People willing to play a match of SF IV are welcome. My gamertag is registered on the pictures (lol)

Edit: Added the ID configuration for the "Optical/RCA Audio adapter" accessory that comes with the official  HDMI cable kit.
Edit2: Lawrence, this post should allow you to correctly fill the cable type table here:     http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:xbox360av

kendrick

Remember that all registered forum users are also able to edit wiki pages. I encourage everyone who finds errors and new information to make changes to existing wiki content as they see fit.

l_oliveira

Okay I edited the wiki and added the information I could figure out.
I even figured out the function of the two unknown pins.

How ?

On the Falcon (HDMI motherboard) pins 21 and 23 are routed for the DDC Data and DDC Clock pins of the HDMI connector.