Some Questions

Started by atom, January 28, 2004, 01:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atom

Ok, i just have a few quick questions before i perform a mod

If i am correct, RGB is not the same as VGA, i know what RGB is i just dont really know what VGA is that much.

My USA NTSC SNES (wow thats a lot of letters) does output RGB through its A\V port?

Anyone have any idea if my old Applecolor RGB monitor would produce a good picture?
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

NFG

1. VGA is RGB @ 640x480 uninterlaced.  "RGB" means 'three channels of video data, one each for red green and blue" but since this is a console specific channel we usually mean RGB @ 15kHz (low res, 320x240).  This is changing now with consoles offering progressive output, but RGB basically means "kickass" where other formats (component, composite, s-video) are "teh sux".  =)

2. ALL SNES units output RGB through the multi-AV, except for the SNESjr (Which is a much smaller unit and is easy to spot).

cyberna

"but RGB basically means "kickass" where other formats (component, composite, s-video) are "teh sux". =)"

Don�t you like component signal? I thought it was very similar to RGB (and maybe better because of progressive Scan)...

Vertigo

Read up on it (read the article linked to on http://nfg.2y.net/games ) and you'll see why component is still a little bit of a messy solution.
Anyway, you don't need a component input to get progressive scan, you can get it perfectly fine with an RGB or even composite A/V input as long as your TV supports progressive scan.

NFG

This has kinda been discussed to death but the short version is: Progressive just means hi-res or non-interlaced.  Computers can do 1600x1200 or higher, and that's RGB.  We don't call it progressive because we're not dumbass consumers who need a detail-free catchphrase for new resolutions on our TVs.  

It's never simple is it?  =)

cyberna

understood!...

A thing that has been a surprise for me has been:

"Anyway, you don't need a component input to get progressive scan, you can get it perfectly fine with an RGB or even composite A/V input as long as your TV supports progressive scan. "

So you can use the PS mode (for example from a NGC or XBOX) games with the A/V or S-Video cable... how it looks?

Thanks for all the answers... now I know why RGB is the best...

Vertigo

QuoteSo you can use the PS mode (for example from a NGC or XBOX) games with the A/V or S-Video cable... how it looks?
Erm, yes, we have tried it here and it looks exactly the same quality, just with the same degree of smoothness as any other progressive scan picture i.e. when you turn horizontally you don't get the slight dual-image problem you do with an interlaced display. The clarity still looks like shit coming through a composite cable, sort of what you'd expect really.