Modding an N64 for RGB? (Where to get the cable)

Started by DarkestMidget, March 01, 2009, 06:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestMidget

Can I use any kind of RGB Cable to mod my N64, or is there any type that you guys would recommend?

And is the visual quality a major difference with RGB?

Tiido Priimägi

You use the RGB cable of SNES, and visual quality will be huge. ost N64 will not have RGB so you will have to do a mod that's quite similiar to what you have to do to get RGB out of Game Gears.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

Link83

Actually, no offense to Tiido but I have a slightly different opinion!

I recommend you get a good quality shielded RGB cable. Most people here make their own, and without knowing what connection you need on your monitor/TV I cant say what would be best.

Also, depending on what sort of RGB mod you perform on the console (and there are many different ones!) you may need to add or remove components from inside the cable.

RGB on the N64 is the best connection you can have, but it all depends on the person as to if its worth it or not. You must remember that the N64 deliberately 'blurs' the graphics with what Nintendo called 'tri-linear filtering'. The picture itself is definitely clearer with RGB, but the graphics wont be very much different, if that makes sense!

Not everybody can appreciate the difference between S-Video and RGB, and depending on how well your TV/Monitor can handle S-Video/RGB signals the difference can be even less pronounced. I personally find though that RGB gives me a much more vivid picture which is more well defined - so to me its worth it :) On the other hand a friend of mind cant tell the difference between Composite and S-Video!

I hope that helps  ;D

Tiido Priimägi

I'm not used to the bland and usually oversaturated and bleeding colors of composite and s-video... RGB is always looking good, at least in Europe, with Philips TV :P
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

Shadow_Zero

With RGB you're ensured to have colour when playing import games. I've got various PAL games that will be black & white (on 2 of my 3 tv's) when using the Passport on a NTSC N64 and composite/s-video and vice versa. With RGB it will be always in colour   ^^ 

CaptainScurvy

For the N64, the RGB vs S-video difference is very minor.  RGB barely improves the video quality for a N64.  If you want the best video quality it is worth it, but overall it seems to be a very minor difference due to the N64 smearing the shit out of every game with the nasty blur.

Here's some recent comparisons of N64 RGB output, make sure you watch them in 720p or greater to notice any difference:

N64 RGB Comparison (Paper Mario)

N64 RGB Comparison (Super Mario 64)

N64 RGB Comparison (Banjo Kazooie)

unshe

IMHO... i see, looking at this videos, that the very minor difference is beetwen Composite and S-Video .....

Shadow_Zero

Cool videos! But these do not represent the difference for me at all! (not on my Samsung monitor in any case)
Composite always has moving lines/jidder and colours bleeding (not sure if I'm using the right words, but most of you probably know what I mean). I can't see any of that on these videos. I must say I notice little difference between N64 RGB and s-video on my 29" JVC CRT tv, but on my Sony Bravia LED screen RGB is better.