XRBG+2 and whatnot

Started by Kouske, January 23, 2004, 11:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kouske

I read these reviews and solutions he had for best quality and all.
But i understood nothing of what he was saying.
Not that his english is bad, but rather that trying to understand the hardware and stuff was abit out of my league.

http://www.tiptonium.com/videogames/review...rgb2plusps2.htm

There's also an Xbox and GCN review for best quality.

Could someone with free time explain how these things works.
And can a simple TV that allows 60Hz display with a SCART/RBG and composite(Is that what NES and SNES uses??) be used

Talasonic

The entire point of this device is to allow you to have a TV-output device display on a normal computer monitor.  You want to do this if you don't have an RGB TV.  Since you have an RGB TV, the XRGB is probably not necessary for you.  

But, in case you're wondering, I'll explain what the XRGB does.  

Normal computer monitors run on an RGB signal.  This is outputted by many decks, including the SNES and the Genesis.  But, although it's the same signal, it's at the wrong frequency for a computer monitor.   Most computer monitors, and pretty much all newer ones require at least 30khz vertical sync, and TV devices output at only 15khz.  So the XRGB converts the signal from 15khz to 30khz.  This is called upscanning.  This lets you plug your SNES and Genesis into a computer monitor, and have a very, VERY nice picture.  But it probably won't be much different than the picture you'd get on your TV using the RGB input.  

The XRGB also has the capability to convert from composite and S-Video to RGB.  This lets you connect a regular NES to a computer monitor, for example.  But again, this won't be much different than the picture you'd get hooking it to a normal TV with composite.  RGB is where the XRGB really shines, when you don't have an RGB TV set.  

One more thing, if you're using a device like the NES that only has composite output, the comb filter that seperates composite into S-Video makes a huge difference to the picture quality.  There is one built into every TV, and their quality can vary.  In particular, the comb filter in any SVHS VCR is generally the best available.  So, if you have one, it's almost always best to run the composite from your NES into an SVHS VCR, and then out to the TV or XRGB via S-Video.  

Kouske

Thanx for the Info Talasonic.
So all i really need is RGB cables for my consoles to get better picture quality.
Now i won't have to spend bucks on those expensive machinery's.
And thanx for the explanation. It helped alot ;)