Connecting a GC to a monitor

Started by NeoBahamut, January 23, 2004, 12:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeoBahamut

Hello folks

Hmm, anyone who can confirm if it�s possible to connect a monitor (like the Commodore 1084) to the Gamecube via a modded RGB cable (from the digital port RGB scart for US/JAP GC). As the signals are RGB and the sync (and possibly ground) is taken from the composite cable, I can�t see any reasons why it shouldn�t work.

One problem may arise and that�s the composite sync. BUT, if the monitor won�t accept that signal one can always wire a separate h- and v-sync directly from the MX chip inside the digital cable, right?MX chip pinout

One more thing, the frequency won�t be a problem (15kHz), but the rgb and sync signals might not be on the correct level. If they�re on 1.5 - 3 Vpp everything�s ok, but they may be down on 0.7 and then we have to amplify them.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

benzaldehyde

Yes, this is absolutely possible, and it still looks great (just more blurry  ;)  ). You can just wire the modded cable to a DB9 for your Commodore and short the sync signals into one. This way, you could also build an adapter for normal progressive output. The GC seems to shut down the CVBS (and so C sync) signal in 480p mode, so using the syncs on the MX would probably be best. I just have mine wired as a normal VGA cable, and then I also have an adapter cable that combines the syncs and adds in audio from the normal AV out (I use Lawrence's because it's so damn convenient), so using a switch box I can shift from my VGA monitor and a nearby 15kHz monitor. Experiment and you should find a happy solution. Have fun.  :D  

NeoBahamut

I thank you for that =). I heard from someone that a European 1084 monitor actually supports ntsc composite sync (however not the ntsc as video signal), so wouldn�t that give good enough results? That way I can still use the scart and just switch ends when needed..

benzaldehyde

It should give great results! Does it use a standard DB9 connector? It shouldn't be too hard to wire up something using the guides on the gamesx.com page. :ph34r:  

NeoBahamut

Actually it�s some older cable, but I�ll fix the rest now that I know it�ll work =). Thanks mate =).