Help minimizing a PS2 controller for GH

Started by thunderbolt885, September 13, 2008, 03:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunderbolt885

I'm trying to fit ps2 controller guts inside of a 1 inch or1 1/2 pvc tube.about 6 inches long. I all ready know how Id like the layout(Basically, just like the buttons are on the neck with the orange button on the bottom). I do not need all of the buttons, just the l1l2r1r2 buttons and one shape button and one direction button*for selecting on the screen.(Or maybe I'm totally wrong)
I want to make a mini (one handed)controller for guitar hero. How do I "strum" it you ask? with a ps2 controller, you can play guitar hero with non guitar controller and when you press the buttons, it automatically strums. If anyone has any ideas just let me know, thanks.
-Scott

NFG

You've told us what you want to do, which seems to be a pretty clear plan.  When you ask for ideas, I have to wonder: ideas for what?  What part of the project is causing you trouble? 

I'm guessing you haven't even tried it yet.  Do so, and if you're stuck, ask your specific questions.  Until then there's not really anything to help you with.

thunderbolt885

well,  I just wanted advice first, as in, which parts can I safely remove without disabling the controller.The ideas I am looking for is the easiest way to accomplish this.Are there certain parts of the circuit board that I can safely cut away? I'm not too familiar doing this type of electronic work but for the controller case, I am planning on sculpting the parts and casting up a resin version with a rtv silicone mold. I'm not actually going to put it inside of a pvc pipe but that's about the size and shape I'm going for in this project.

NFG

You can safely remove anything that neither you or the controller need.  It's common sense: If it's on there, it's probably for a reason, right? 

The little connector and plastic sheet are for the buttons: remove either of those and you can't use the pad's buttons anymore.  The black thing with all the silver legs on it?  That's the chip - remove that and ...  well, you can probably guess how bad the result would be.

If the pad has a chip, keep it.  Resistors? Keep 'em.  PCB and analogue sticks?  Junk 'em, you won't need 'em for your GH mod, right?  Just work your way through the list, keeping in mind one final thing:

If you're gonna cut up the PCB, and it sounds like you are, you'll need to keep the important bits, like the little circuit traces that connect all the components.  If you cut, for example, the trace providing power to the chip, it won't work anymore.  If you really need to make it smaller you'll end up replacing the PCB's circuits you cut with wires so the whole thing keeps working.

It's not rocket science.

NFG

Aha, here's an old mod I made:

That's a GameCube Hori pad PCB.  I cut along the green lines and then soldered wires to what was left. 

(more story for this mod on NFGcontrols)

Here's another example, this time a Playstation controller was gutted for the same reason: to use NeoGeo sticks.  Just cut out all the important bits and put it in a box (this time it was an Atari-800 cart that lost its life...)  I don't remember what the switch was for.  =/

thunderbolt885

Instead of using the place on the controller board where the buttons are, how do I go about attaching wires and a micro switch (I think that's what it's called)
did you get my private message with the picture?
-Scott

NFG

Quote from: thunderbolt885 on September 14, 2008, 03:43:45 AM
Instead of using the place on the controller board where the buttons are, how do I go about attaching wires and a micro switch (I think that's what it's called)
did you get my private message with the picture?
1. Solder and wires.
2. Yes, neat idea.  I don't give personalized advice since it would be more effective to discuss things where more people can benefit and contribute, which is why it's being discussed here.  =)