Nintendo 64 CPU Linked together

Started by us-solidsnake, July 17, 2016, 04:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

us-solidsnake

I just joined this Forum because I found a thread about upgrading a N64 CPU from a HP Deskjet printer, You can search and find the thread I'm talking about by typing N64 CPU in the search box.

I had another idea,  I was wondering if you could Solder a N64 CPU on top of another N64 CPU and link the Cpus together?

I was just thinking maybe I could connect the second CPU on the bottom of the other CPU and link the pins together. 

Would it be possible to do rather than replace the CPU with a different one

just link two together to have dual CPUs

I would think it wouldn't require programming or flashing anything. Because everything is already on the Chip your just linking the pins together. 

The N64 CPU upgrade just ends and its pretty old so I don't know if they ever got it to work or not. 

Andy-Antsinpants

Welcome to the forum. I'm more into simple electronics than digital stuff and microprocessors, but I think what you're trying to achieve isn't possible this way.

Besides, I still don't get the desire for over clocking the N64, since from my uneducated guess, its games are likely programmed to run with the system's stock speed in mind. You know, just like those very old DOS games from the 80s that freaked out when running on anything faster than the original IBM PC.

Also, no N64 game would be able to take advantage of a dual CPU setup. First of all, the system isn't designed for it, second, the games needed to be programmed for that. Remember that memory expansion? Only games that were specifically programmed for it could access the full 8 MB RAM, while older games didn't.

That being said, I still appreciate your enthusiasm. :)