Snes Controller led's

Started by chriswalker8511, July 29, 2008, 07:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chriswalker8511

Does anyone know a website showing how to wire up led's to a SNES controller because there are only tutorials for NES controllers, or can someone explain how to do it ???

thanks

ulao

The snes and nes have the same hardware with the addition of a few extra buttons. Should be the same.

chriswalker8511

I've compared my official snes controller to the NES ones in some tutorials but the NES ones the components are soldered on but on the snes there is no solder. If i am correct to power and led on a nes controller you connect it to the white wire (the positive power wire?), if this is right please could you tell me or if you know how to wire an led up to a snes controller please could you tell me?

thanks

ulao

Never go off of colors.. Colors can change. Go off of pins.. \

Pin    Description    Wire Color
1   +5v                   White
2   Data Clock           Yellow
3   Data Latch           Orange
4   Serial Data           Red
5   N/C   -
6   N/C   -
7   Ground           Brown

Both controllers use the same pinout.

The SNES pad works the same as the NES controller, except it has two 4021"s. Additionally there are sixteen pulses on the CLK line, and sixteen bits of data.  A SNES pad can be connected to a NES by simply swapping the connector on the end So they are the same thing.. Your "white" wire or pin 1 is +5 in both cases.

If I were to guess your mod is just connecting the +5 of the LED to the +5 pin (white) like you said and the other lead to the button return lead. (where it is on when pressed). To find that you could hook up  an Ohm meter...  If so then its just a matter of dong the same for the SNES. So ... yes.  connect the LEDS to +5 and the others to the buttons return leads.

chriswalker8511

Awesome, thanks for the help but does that mean it will light up when the button is pressed? And how could i get it to light up all the time?

ulao

I describe how to use it to light up when pressed. If you just want to have it light up all the time you connect the second lead to pin 7   Ground ... Should be brown according to what you see.

chriswalker8511

phreak97

youll kill the led if you dont use a resistor in series. 75 ohms should do it if youre using a bright (high intensity) led.

ulao

Good point phreak97, most mods solder a 100 ohm resistor, to the positive pin of the LED. A 75 should also do fine. I made the assumption you knew this as you are basing it of of the nes design. If you omit this resister that LED make get a bid hot and possibly burn up.

chriswalker8511

yer im using 100 ohm resistors, but does the size matter because some are bigger than others?

ulao

Quotebut does the size matter
- absolutely!!, dont go messing around with electrics if you dont know ohms law.

As for 75 or 100, either will do fine no worries of over voltage  there.

ohms law..     I = V/R

You should know the Vf (forward bias voltage ( guessing 1.8V ) ) of the LED, and the max current. using less than the max current makes it less intense, so a larger resistor (600 ohms) makes it dimmer. And a smaller (100) brighter.

Also Some LEDs have a built in voltage dropping resistor no resistor is needed. They are normally a bit more in cost.

edit::

I was just thinking you probably meant physical size. No not really, look at the markings. They tell you the resistance. Then check it compared to this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_color_code

phreak97

the physical size relates to the amount of power you can put through them. a regular common resistor is 1/4 watt, which is plenty enough to run an led. i havnt been awake long or i'd elaborate..

chriswalker8511

yeah i ment physical size but thanks anyway :)

ulao

In your project (mod) a 1/4 1/2 or 1/8 should not matter.

chriswalker8511