News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Server Upgrade

Started by NFG, April 10, 2008, 09:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NFG

Well, the time has come!

I'm off to Japan on Saturday with a brand new server for this humble website (and the rest of the illustrious NFG network).  We used to run a P4 2.8GHz, but the RAID died and we couldn't rebuild it, so for the last six months it's been struggling along on a P3/800 with half a gig RAM...

Well, the new one's a monster: a Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz with 2 gig!!

Fuck yeah!

I'll be installing it sometime next week.  Please forgive any downtime.

NFG

What a mess.  The temp server was not configured to run as a main server and, since it had no keyboard, it'd just sit there and wait for someone to allow it to boot if it rebooted itself...  Which it seemed to do when the CPU fan, already caked with dust and ineffective, ate itself and started spinning at about 10% speed.

So...  Currently still running on the temp server.  The new server will be installed later today, as soon as I find a new power supply for it.

Extra thanks to HP for putting 2 nonstandard supports in the case.  I had to beat the shit out of it with a hammer to get my new mobo installed!  =)

Then it's migration time.  Apparently moving the database from MySQL4 to MySQL5 isn't as simple as copying the DB files.  =/

NFG

Haha, geez.  The clock on the temp server motherboard is...  Well, useless.  The system had reset to 2002, so a couple of messages are WAY out of sync. 

But I got the new server installed at least, that was the important part.  Now to focus on the migration!

NFG

OK, finally got the new database server flying as it should.  The forum is now running on the new box, dual-core dual-gig goodness ahoy!

So yeah, let me know if anything doesn't work, and if you wanna just go see if you can now change your avatars...

NeWmAn

I get an Error 404 while trying to access the wiki or other links from the Gamesx.com main page  ???

blackevilweredragon

I think my avatar went..

All seems ok for me on the forum, though the boards are not in the same order they used to be.

NFG

Wow, I dunno what happened but the site file copy was apparently only superficial.  Instead of copying all files and folders it only copied the top level of folders, and sometimes not any of the contents. 

Thanks for pointing them out, I'm fixing them right now. Wiki's done, everything else is next.

No idea what's going on with the forum ordering, it's ignoring my attempts to re-order them.   >:(

EDIT: fixed all the 404 pages.  Turns out I had forgotten to tell the server to serve www.gamesx.com as well as gamesx.com...  Oops!

rockman87

Lawrence,

I'm still getting a 404 on the random image in the top left of the gamesx.com page (URL: http://nfggames.com/cgi-bin/randimgGSX.pl). 

Also, while viewing the page under Firefox (1024x768), the gamesx.com page is shifted way off to the right, and it didn't used to be like that.  It doesn't do this under IE.  I looked at the page source and if you change this line, it moves the table back where it's supposed to go.

<table  cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" bgcolor="bbbbbb" style="margin-left: -160px;">

change to:

<table  cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" bgcolor="bbbbbb" style="margin-left: 0px;">

Or you could just delete that style property altogether.

NFG

Quote from: rockman87 on August 17, 2008, 11:04:27 PMI'm still getting a 404 on the random image in the top left of the gamesx.com page

[...]

Also, while viewing the page under Firefox (1024x768), the gamesx.com page is shifted way off to the right, and it didn't used to be like that. 

Or you could just delete that style property altogether.
Done and done!  The page is fixed, thanks for letting me know.