atmel avr projects..

Started by phreak97, May 29, 2008, 08:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phreak97

i've just built myself a simple atmel avr (atmega8) programmer, and i've found a few controller to usb adaptors based on this microcontroller, but i'm hoping for something a little more exciting.
does anyone here know of any fancy mods that can be done with this chip? i cant write any of my own code cos i dont know how:(

Hojo_Norem

Quote from: phreak97 on May 29, 2008, 08:56:55 PM
I've just built myself a simple atmel avr (atmega8) programmer, and I've found a few controller to usb adaptors based on this micro-controller, but I'm hoping for something a little more exciting.
does anyone here know of any fancy mods that can be done with this chip?X

My SNESpad supergun uses a ATMega8 (check the progectlogs forum).  If you want more ideas for projects then check out the forums at http://www.avrfreaks.org.  There's some useful stuff there and was a great help when I was first trying to figure the avr out.

Quote from: phreak97
i cant write any of my own code cos i don't know how:(

There are a few tutorials over at avrfreaks on how to set up various development environments like the free WinAVR C development suite.  Unfortunately you can't really do anything but make other people's projects without knowing how to programme for the AVRs.
Formerly 'butter_pat_head'

phreak97

thanks, ill have a look:)
i dont know how to program for anything let alone an avr, so i'm fairly limited to other peoples projects anyway.

l_oliveira

Just to mention. A "popular" series of mod chips for NGC and the Wii are based on that same micro controller.

phreak97

;) we're keeping clear of those here though.

l_oliveira

I just meant to say that the ATMEGA8 is powerful enough to do pretty amazing stuff ... ;)

phreak97

;) i know, that's why i'm asking for fancy projects:P

ulao

Akir

I tore out the sound unit from my SNES (only I used a hammer because I can't find the stupid screwdriver for it. It got rid of a lot of my stress). I was planning on hooking it up to my computer to listen to Actraiser on real hardware. Yes, Yuzo Koshiro is worth the trouble. :P

Anyways, I was planning on doing that, but then I got a hold of the Parallax catalogue... and I wanted to use their Propeller chip and an SD card reader to make it portable. :P

Well, I didn't know enough about microelectronics and I put the power on with the wrong polarity. :P So now I'm waiting for some small chance that I'll make some few dollars to buy a new Propeller and 24LC256.

As far as I know (which is very little), the ATmega8 doesn't have enough programmable pins, so I'm just wasting your time here.