Will any 5.25 inch floppy drive from any 68k model work with an XVI Tower?

Started by Broken, February 26, 2008, 08:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Broken

Hi I was just wondering if the 5.25 inch floppy drives were generally universally compatible with all 68k models with  5.25 inch drives? You'd think so but I don't know for sure. I hear there's an external 5.25 inch floppy drive but I bet it'd cost a bomb. Guess you'd need a couple if u had the system with the 3.5 inch drive? Any help here as always would be very much appreciated.

NFG

There are three kinds of 5.25" drives in the X68 series:

1. The original X68000 (connectors were on the wrong side, possibly other differences (I forget))
2. The PRO units used enormous drives with massive aluminum enclosures, completely unlike the other units.
3. The rest of the series used identical drives (ACE, Expert, XVI, and I believe the '030 (never seen one))

Broken

Hi cheers Lawrence. I should have expected the usual response quality (why should and what gives Lawrence the right to know just about everything regarding electronics + console related, it's not on!). What about everyone else?! Only joking. U still in Australia? If so I guess you could shoot through to the bush, get some tinnies and some gud ol tukka on the barbie with the sheila. Then visit the bungle bungles after u shot through!

NFG

Quote from: Hungkuen on February 27, 2008, 09:35:12 PMU still in Australia? If so I guess you could shoot through to the bush, get some tinnies and some gud ol tukka on the barbie with the sheila. Then visit the bungle bungles after u shot through!

I have no fucking idea what you just said.  =(

Broken

Come now you live in Australia no? There must have been a bit of local influence! Apart from that I was thanking you and basically not trying to kiss ur ass too much! Ay yer mungrel + old fuddy duddy (Joe Mangel + Madge who used to be in neighbours!)

NFG

For the most part Australians are weird and keep to themselves, which suits me fine.  Turns out I don't have a high tolerance for ridiculousness.  =D

Despite being an Australian citizen, I was born and raised in Canada, where the people are equally weird but in more endearing ways.  =D

Broken

Now now Lawrence you do need to be tolerant of others....! Canada from what I've seen and heard seems a bit more down to earth and sensible than the states. Yet it seems the states are always ready to take the mick out of Canadians when it should probably be the other way around...!

sharpie

I have a working external 5.25 (x2) drive for my X68k.  Not for sale though!  This is like the rarest thing in the world apparently.

NFG

They're not all that rare, just expensive, especially if you want the official drives (as opposed to 3rd party units or home-made kits).

timofonic

Quote from: sharpie on March 04, 2008, 05:58:17 AM
I have a working external 5.25 (x2) drive for my X68k.  Not for sale though!  This is like the rarest thing in the world apparently.

Please, can you take (very) detailed photos or it? If you are able to do it, it could be quite interesting if you check the pinout with the one of the wiki too.

sharpie

Yeah, sure thing.  I'll try to do it sometime this week.  It's the official one by the way.  I disagree, they are extremely rare actually.

Quote from: timofonic on March 04, 2008, 11:36:57 AM
Quote from: sharpie on March 04, 2008, 05:58:17 AM

Please, can you take (very) detailed photos or it? If you are able to do it, it could be quite interesting if you check the pinout with the one of the wiki too.

NFG

You'll probably find 15 a year popping up for sale in Japan.  Problem is they're often sold as part of a bundle as well, so you never really know what you'll have to pay for along with the drives.

Broken

Hi just one thing. Would a floppy drive in a 68K 'Super' be compatible if put in an XVI tower? Again anything would be appreciated.

NFG

As mentioned earlier, the only two drives that are different are the original X68000 and the Pro.  All others share the same drives (except Compact, obviously)