Nintendo's GC RGB SCART cable

Started by Jopapa, January 16, 2004, 11:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jopapa

Basically what it says in the summary. The thing says NTSC, so I can assume it's a JAP pinout, but I just wanted to make double sure I'd be able to get it and plug it straight into the XRGB2+ when I get that.

NFG

Nintendo hasn't put out an RGB Cable since the SNES.  The SNES cables don't work with the GameCube.  

CC_Devil

Lawrence,

I assume you mean in Japan...
In Europe they have released an RGB cable for the PAL Gamecube which is downward compatible with the SNES.

You are right about the SNES cables not working on PAL Gamecubes though. I wonder why this is...I read somewhere there is an extra capacitor in the cable somewhere but that does not really explain why it does not work.
I have never been able to open one of these first party PAL GC RGB cables so I don't what more there is into them...
I think there was a link on the old forums to a pinout of this cable. I'm not sure how reliable it is.

However I purchased a few third party RGB cables that supposedly work on the PAL GC and there was not anything more in these than in SNES cables...Actually they were wired for composite but the RGB leads were there and I rewired them to use on my US SNES. The box specifically said RGB but that shows you how nobody knows or cares about it...

CC

davidleeroth

In order to use these thirdparty "RGB" leads on your GC you have to add a resistor on one of the pins for them to work in RGB mode.

These same cables can used with SNES but you have to remove the caps.
I haven't tried to use a SNES RGB cable on a GC so I can't comment on that case.
Talking about PAL in this message just in case someone's wondering...

Jopapa

QuoteNintendo hasn't put out an RGB Cable since the SNES.  The SNES cables don't work with the GameCube.
Er, yeah, I was thinking of the SNES cable on the N64 when I asked, but I was actually wondering if doing the chip mod was the only way to get true RGB from the GC, and if there's a way to get S/PDIF sound along with it.

*sigh* that's what I get for working myself too hard on the flightline  :blink:  

Vertigo

1) Don't go anywhere near any third-party RGB cables for Gamecube, they're nearly all wired for composite.
2) Yes, Nintendo did release an RGB SCART lead in Europe only, and so obviously it's European spec wiring, not Japanese.
3) The thing it says in the manual about you needing a SCART lead to switch into 60Hz mode is bollocks, it's just a get-out so that people don't blame them for trying to get 60Hz on their cruddy old RF-only non-supporting TV.
4) When they released the SCART cable it cost over �25. An obscene price considering they were selling off SNES ones for a fiver months earlier.

davidleeroth

Quote1) Don't go anywhere near any third-party RGB cables for Gamecube, they're nearly all wired for composite..
4) When they (Nintendo) released the SCART cable it cost over �25. An obscene price considering they were selling off SNES ones for a fiver months earlier.
Isn't this what they call a paradox?
A problem that takes a minute to fix saves you �20.  :lol:

Jopapa

So when it comes right down to it, my best bet is to build (or buy) the custom RGB/SCART cable for the GC, with a EUR to JAP adapter (or modified pinout) for connection to an XRGB2+; and for the N64, do the RGB mod (planned to) and get an SNES RGB/SCART cable (same deal with modifying or adapting the pinout) foruse with an XRGB2+. Sound pretty good?

For the EUR to JAP converting, perhaps just a switchbox/multi-input SCART module like others have done?

Vertigo

QuoteIsn't this what they call a paradox?
A problem that takes a minute to fix saves you �20.  :lol:
Well I had a look inside a couple that we'd bought and subsequently took back and there weren't enough wires inside to fix it anyway, so I ended up sorting one out for the guy I lived with anyway.