Modding an XRGB-2: NTSC -> PAL

Started by NFG, September 19, 2003, 02:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NFG

The process of converting an XRGB-2 from Japanese RGB to PAL RGB/SCART is relatively easy.  You can even add a switch, if the fancy strikes you.  Here's a happy overview of the PCB:

This picture should also silence the chumps who want to make their own upscan convertor.  Look at the complicated bits!  Look at them!  Ph34r!!!

<ahem>

Here's a picture of the PCB immediately next to the RGB connector.  There is a series of jumpers labelled N and P.  That's NTSC and PAL kthx.  Simply remove all the NTSC jumpers and connect all the PAL jumpers and your XRGB-2 will be wired for pure SCART love.

Nothing to it.  Note that the jumpers used are just zero-ohm resistors, you can replace them with bits of wire, tinfoil, iron spikes, or anything you like.

[UPDATE]Forum regular ido8bit has posted this update to the mod:  "After changing all the jumpers from N to P I found that it wouldn't sync, so I traced it through and found it was expecting sync on pin 16. All my SCART cables (including those bought from Lik-Sang and those I made myself) have sync on pin 20. I lifted pin 16 inside the XRGB2 leaving it unconnected and wired a jumper from pin 20 to the trace that was connected to pin 16."

He also posted a picture of this fix on another thread.

parodius

Has anybody opened their XRGB2+ yet ?  :D
Is there something similar in it ?

Stone

QuoteHas anybody opened their XRGB2+ yet ?  :D
Is there something similar in it ?
Just ordered mine from Playasia, I'll let everyone know what happens when I pull it apart. Since I bought it to conevrt to SCART I'll have to cut all the pins off the board and resolder, which will be irritating...

Here's hoping :)

Stone

parodius

You could also buy a SCART extension cable and rewire one of its ends... that's much less risky.

benmemphis

X-RGB2+ does not have the jumpers (v1.1 board). If you know what you are doing you can still easily rewire it from the socket pins.

If you have Euro scart cables or an extension cable then it's easier to simply rewire those (the pinout you need is in the instructions). X-RGB2+ only uses 6 signal lines, 6 ground and the rest not connected.

Ben Memphis

Stone

QuoteX-RGB2+ does not have the jumpers (v1.1 board). If you know what you are doing you can still easily rewire it from the socket pins.

If you have Euro scart cables or an extension cable then it's easier to simply rewire those (the pinout you need is in the instructions). X-RGB2+ only uses 6 signal lines, 6 ground and the rest not connected.
Guess what I just found out? :angry: :blink: :)

No worries, with my 1337 ninjaskillz :ph34r: I'll just hack the pins off the board, it's hardly taxing.

I don't want to use an extension cable cos I'll be using it with ready-built cables (like the SCART cable I got for my SNES :D) and that would look terrible. If it's worth doing it's worth doing right.

Thanks for the translation of 'not connected' btw, I wasn't sure cos I don't read Jap :) Are all the grounds commoned together? Have put it back away in its box now and i won't be modding it for a little while so it's easier to ask :)

Stone

Stone

Well, I converted it...

It all worked fine right up until replacing the ribbon-cable to the front panel snapped one of the pins off. I ended up soldering individual strands of ribbon cable between the pins on the main pcb and the pads on the front-panel, and now half the buttons don't work. Ho hum.

Stone

Giogi

Is this correct?, I want to build a Scart-JPN adapter to use with the XRGB-2+ to use Euro Scart cables and I want to know if the equivalent are right...

JAPANESE RGB                    EUROPE SCART
                                                              (FEMALE)                            (MALE)

-RED                                                               15                                       15
-RED SHIELD                                                   13                                       13
-BLUE                                                              20                                        7
-BLUE SHIELD                                                  18                                        5
-GREEN                                                            19                                       11
-GREEN SHIELD                                               17                                         9
-SYNC                                                                9                                        16?
-SYNC SHIELD                                                    7                                        18?
-AUDIO LEFT                                                      5                                          6
-AUDIO LEFT SHIELD                                          3                                          4
-AUDIO RIGHT                                                     1                                         2
-AUDIO RIGHT SHIELD                                        3                                          4
-+5V                                                                   16                                         ?
-GROUND                                                            21                                       21

I want to know if the numbers with an "?" are correct, which is the +5V pin in the Euro Scart cable?

parodius

I've just modded my XRGB2 to use SCART cables and I get a rolling picture, the menu is Ok though.
I haven't got any japanese 21 pin cable so I couldn't test the RGB input before modding the unit...
Do you guys have any idea of what's wrong ?
The composite input works Ok by the way.

parodius

parodius

Bump !  Still not working... I'll check the jumpers again for a bad solder.

NeWmAn

parodius

Woohoo ! Thanks ! I'll try this tomorrow !  ^_^  

NFG

I have updated the first post of this thread to included details and a link to the other thread.

Time to add it to the wiki I guess.

parodius

It worked ! Thanks guys !

Here's the result :

A Murder of Crows

The final product pictures are gone.  Did anyone create a backup?

gojirien

If it helps, here's mine modded :