SMS/Genesis 1 to SCART Cable

Started by madmalkav, January 13, 2004, 08:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmalkav

Well, I made the mod for the Genesis and I will do the mod for the SMS, but beofre that I have to made a SCART cable to enjoy the 60hz experience. As I'm quite illiterated in electronics, I need some help:

Genesis .................... SCART
--------- .................... --------
Pin 2 (Composite) ..... Pin 19
Pin 3 (Green) ........... Pin 11
Pin 4 (Ground) ......... Pin 21
Pin 6  (Audio) ........... Pin 3
Pin 7  (Red) ............. Pin 15
Pin 8  (Blue) ............ Pin 7

Is that correct? What I have to do with pins 1 (Sync) and 5 (+5V)?

Thanks.

Tom61

Use the Neo-Geo pinout found on GameSX instead of the Genesis 1 pinout, the Genesis 1 pinout page doesn't tell which end the diagram is for, and I don't think it uses standard numbering layout either.

Hojo_Norem

QuoteWell, I made the mod for the Genesis and I will do the mod for the SMS, but beofre that I have to made a SCART cable to enjoy the 60hz experience. As I'm quite illiterated in electronics, I need some help:

Genesis .................... SCART
--------- .................... --------
Pin 2 (Composite) ..... Pin 19
Pin 3 (Green) ........... Pin 11
Pin 4 (Ground) ......... Pin 21
Pin 6  (Audio) ........... Pin 3
Pin 7  (Red) ............. Pin 15
Pin 8  (Blue) ............ Pin 7

Is that correct? What I have to do with pins 1 (Sync) and 5 (+5V)?

Thanks.
Yuo would connect the +5V via a 100 ohm resitsor to the blanking signal pin on the scart end.  Its pin 16 I think, however the pinout for the scart is available on gamesx anyway.
Formerly 'butter_pat_head'

CC_Devil

Tom61,

That's a good advice, I wish you had posted that a month ago ;-)
I had wired everything thinking it was at the genesis end, but it was at the cable end...

I think I cursed a little at Lawrence back then ;-)

madmalkav,

Put the 5V directly on pin 8 of the scart connector, and through a 75-100 Ohms resistor to pin 16.

CC

madmalkav

OK, now I only know where to connect the Sync pin -I'm don't know what it really does, but sounds like it will be important to get the TV gettin g the 60Hz signal- and I will start to solder.

By the way, connecting 5V to pin 8 is to get the TV know that the scart is sending signal, I mean, that's the pin that makes the TV go directly to AV channel when you start the console?

And what's the pin 16 doing?

Thanks a lot.

phreak97

just a hint: mega drive/gennesis supports stereo sound, i reccommend you connect up left and right channels to your scart not just left

madmalkav

I have a megadrive 1 and a megacd, so the stereo output is already going through megacd. And I love to have the sound out in RCA to connect it to my sound system  ;)  

phreak97

even so, you can wire it even if you dont use it, you might use it one day

Vertigo

Well you can just wire up a 3mm headphone jack to the Megadrive end of your SCART that connects to the headphones on the front and runs all the way down the wire to the TV end also, that's what mine has on it. Makes it a lot easier than having to mess about with a MegaCD, and also means you don't have to look at the shitty ugly Megadrive 2 ;)

The thing is, I already have the megadrive connected with the megacd, the megacd connected with the sound system -that is a lot better than my crapy mono tv- so is no trouble for me.

Well, as it seems like the sync signal is no needed, just the s.video one -that I've been said to solder to pin 20, not 19-, I'm going to do it as soon as I can go buy the components and have some pare time -too bad my work schedule and the electronics aprts shops schedules are quite incompatible-.

Vertigo

Well yes, but what if at some time you don't want to have the MCD connected any more, or you take the MD to someone else's place, or whatever. Might as well do the small extra work now, right?