Atari ST & Amiga ports?

Started by guyjin, July 31, 2009, 02:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyjin

Given that the X68k systems are equal to or better than their contemporary Amiga/ST counterparts, and similar to them in at least one big way, Why aren't there more ST/Amiga game ports on the X68k? or have I not been paying attention?

Incidentally, Did either the Atari ST or Amiga ever come out in Japan? If so, would you guess that either of them was more or less successful than the X68k?

papa_november

Xenon 2, Powermonger and Lemmings are more or less Amiga ports. There may be more.

There were a few Amigas sold in Japan, but not enough to convince any Japanese software houses to develop for it. There was a partial Japanese localization of the AmigaOS at one point, but that was as far as it got.  Commodore's Japanese presence wasn't terribly big; they assumed it was pretty much a lost cause ever since the MSX1 slaughtered the C64 over there at launch.

The Atari ST was probably even less successful. Atari never had much of a presence in Japan, so it probably wasn't even officially released over there.

Magic Knight

There were also ports of IBM-compatible games from the west. So, from western 16-bit machines also came Populous The Promised Lands add-on, Populous II, Powermonger, Kick Off (it was called Pro Soccer 68), Prince of Persia, Sim City, Sim City Terrain Editor, Sim Earth, Sim Ant, F-15 Strike Eagle II, Jack Nicklaus Championship Golf, Shufflepuck Cafe, Battle Chess, Mega-Lo-Mania, Pipe Dream (i.e. Pipe Mania), Wings (Wings of Fury), Deflektor, Gunship, Dragon Wars, Future Wars, Phantasie IV, Quarter Staff The Tomb Of The Setmoth, Tunnels & Trolls, Dungeon Master, Chaos Strikes Back,
Ultima V Warriors of Destiny, Ultima VI The False Prophet

I can't think of any more at the moment.

silent_vinJay

You are giving an issue that is hard to resolve especially because we do not have the exact data. Let us start with the number of ST/Amiga game ports on X68k, I think there is just equal number of X68K on Amiga but maybe you haven't noticed them. Also I heard Atari ST and Amiga both reached Japan, but its popularity was less known because they prefer to use X68K.