Best options

Started by Jopapa, January 11, 2004, 07:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jopapa

I'm looking at getting a plasma TV once I get to my permanent duty station (USAF) and a Gamecube and possibly an Xbox along with it. Right now I'm just thinking of what the best route to take for video quality would be. They both have the option of SCART RGB connectors that I could use with an XRGB2+, or the component video connectors that I could just connect directly to the TV. I'm leaning towards the SCART cables with an XRGB2+, but was curious to other peoples' opinions on the best way to go. I also have an N64 that I'd like to dig out and mod for whichever route I end up taking.

Thoughts?

edit: just saw that Micomsoft released their XSelect-24 which has component inputs, and looks to be my best option if by chance I can't get a plasma and stick with just an oversized PC monitor. I'm wondering though, since many Gamecube games don't supoort progressive scan, will they straight not work with the component video cable, or will they still work but just not look as good as the progressive scan games?

Richter X

You may want to try the AVS Forum to ask about finding a suitable display for your games. Most Gamecube games have Progressive Scan. Even if they didn't it would still show a picture with the Component and VGA cables. There are also SCART cables for the Gamecube, but make sure to get the right one (the oneplugs into both digital and regular AV ports on GC).

Jopapa

I've looked around for SCART cables, but haven't found anything that doesn't use the SVHS signal. I found a DIY a while back on how to make your own that uses RGB with the sync, and I might try to talk my buddy into helping me make one (I suck at soldering), but if I could just buy one that'd be killer. no luck looking on Lik-Sang or eBay tho  :(

edit: answered my own questions in another thread  :ph34r:

now I just need to find a good deal on a Megaview...