BIG RGB(capable) TV's or monitors?

Started by milky, January 09, 2004, 02:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milky

I'm trying to get into RGB gaming but the thought of playing all my games on a teeny 14" monitor isn't too appealing.  I live in the states too so to get a tv w/ SCART I'd have to specially order one from Europe... so uh what should I do?  Does anyone know of American-made TV's that have SCART inputs?

ozpass

What about a Hantarex monitor?  They aren't as user friendly as a consumer television (i.e. no casings if you get one from an arcade machine) but if you find a good one, the results can be excellent.  They should also be plentiful in the States- the company has a US presence.  If you can find one from a video wall, you may even find it has an enclosure/casing like a normal television.

Survival_Tobita

There are many Sony and NEC broadcast monitors available secondhand that will take RGB and are in the neighborhood of 19-27". For REALLY large CRT screens, look at the Mitsubishi Megaview line. I myself own a 33" model and it works great, and it was around $200 on ebay including freight (!). The Megaviews also accept VGA resolutions (exact specs depend on model), so you can hook a computer up directly or a dreamcast vga box. Most of these monitors don't have SCART jacks; they usually have a 4/5BNC, and sometimes a HD-15 also depending on the model. Some Sony monitors have their own proprietary connector, but it's not too hard to get a cable for it. You can build a SCART to whatever-the-monitor-wants adapter pretty easily and cheaply using one of those 5-in-1 SCART sockets you see on ebay.  

cgm

Try the Toshiba TIMM, it was a 20" TV/monitor that could easily scan down in RGB mode. It failed in the marketplace though and as a result is quite hard to come by nowadays. I have had success hooking my Apple IIgs to the thing (15.75khz RGB like consoles) but the .58mm dot pitch kinda sucks with anything over 640x480... one reason why it failed.  check this link out for a picture and a review from an Amiga user http://theweeks.org/toms-stuff/NEWSYS.html

grey

Funny that this thread started up shortly after my (hd)tv rgb one.

Anyhoot:

I just picked up a 35" Mitsubishi Megaview pro off of ebay for $350.  We'll see if it arrives in good condition.

There's also a 40" currently up for auction (largest megaview line made, probably largest CRT that will sync to 15Khz that will ever be made by the look of where monitor market is heading) the $700 starting bid was a bit more than I could justify however.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=41807

There's also this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=21517

Claims to do 15Khz sync. 27" starting bid @ $75, but if I'm posting this here, we'll see how many fiends get interested.

Scanning through AVSForums I turned up this link:

http://archives.itg.uiuc.edu/avid/2002-11/msg02479.htm

Those are displays capable of doing 1080p apparently (of note, the 35" megaview, and presumably the 40" megaview have been reported to be able to display a 1080p signal OK).  It also mentions that panasonic linked above.

The panasonic might still be in production, but  I'm not sure what it would cost new.  They also have a 16:9 production display (30") but retail is around $4500 (they have a higher end version of the same set that's $35,000 though!!!)

The Mitsubishi Megaviews were around $6-8000 retail originally as well - so figures that RGB fiends in North America will get screwed for their passions.

To anyone reading, I'd say look into the two Ebay links if you want a large RGB 15Khz display for a modest price (with a benefit that they are multiscan and can also support VGA signals and modestly high resolutions [like SXGA] at decent refresh rates).  YMMV

Seems like in north america if you want  a versatile monitor, you need to pay through the nose, or find old equipment that's maybe pawned off on ebay unawares of its potential. :-)  You can't find consumer CRT TV's or Monitors that can use a 15Khz signal, nor can you find ones that can display more than 720p the professional world on the other hand...

Jopapa

I'll be getting a NEC FE2111SB 22" CRT when I get to my duty station. I figure with that, a VGA switch box, Bose sound system, XRGB2+ for the RGB luvin on the N64 and GC (gotta figure out how to get the RGB and still have S/PDIF sound tho), Zenith HDTV tuner with VGA out, and an X2VGA box for my XBox, I should be set for a good long time  B)  

Where can I find a Hantarex monitor? I've seen one on Ebay and that's about it.  

grey

Hantarex still manufacturers tubes, so they're probably not as hard to try to find new as some of the other displays; probably look towards arcade vendors, I'm not sure if they sell direct, but that's a possibility.

Looks like that 35" megaview was not alone, the company I got mine through (via ebay) apparently has about 7 all together.  Maybe you can contact them directly if interested in that model. http://computerresale.com

Apparently the 40" megaview pro actually has component input in addition to everything else, and was the only model to have that - so I'm kinda bummed I didn't go with that now, but the added price makes it a bit less appealing anyway (say $700 on ebay, or $1350 through another source).

For most consoles, I can avoid component, with the right dvd player I can too.  I am a bit concerned about the xbox output... and to a lesser extent ps2 (should be easier to get rgb off of that, I'm actually curious to see if the vga adapter I got with the ps2 devkit will work as rgb @ 15Khz even though it states that it's meant for VGA monitors presumably due to synx issues).

Fun.

Another option worth looking into is themonitors that came with the Gateway Destination "Big Screen" PCs. They still use those in the classrooms here on base and IIRC they can handle up to 1080i. Only input is VGA, but that's all you'll have with any other CRT monitor anyway. I couldn't figure out who made 'em for Gateway though  <_<  

Jopapa

Stupid me forgetting to log in again...

zidanax

If I got the Panasonic monitor, should I get a Scart RGB cable or a Japanese one? Also, how can I convert that to BNC?

QuoteAnother option worth looking into is themonitors that came with the Gateway Destination "Big Screen" PCs. They still use those in the classrooms here on base and IIRC they can handle up to 1080i. Only input is VGA, but that's all you'll have with any other CRT monitor anyway. I couldn't figure out who made 'em for Gateway though  <_<
Y'see, that's the thing, I don't want so much a large VGA monitor as an NTSC/PAL/VGA capable television (if such a thing exists).  Well, I don't care if it's a monitor or not as long as it can take in NTSC or PAL RCA and S-video (and maybe even component video) without having to modify the signal or something.  I do NOT want simply a large CRT VGA monitor.  I wanna be able to take stuff and plug it right in w/o needing a converter (such as the X-RGB-2).

Tom61

QuoteY'see, that's the thing, I don't want so much a large VGA monitor as an NTSC/PAL/VGA capable television (if such a thing exists). Well, I don't care if it's a monitor or not as long as it can take in NTSC or PAL RCA and S-video (and maybe even component video) without having to modify the signal or something. I do NOT want simply a large CRT VGA monitor. I wanna be able to take stuff and plug it right in w/o needing a converter (such as the X-RGB-2).

My, that's a tall order in the US. High end TVs in Europe can handle all that if I remember right. In the US your best bet is to setup a video PC and throw in a TV-tuner card (capable of taking both PAL and NTSC) and a HDTV-tuner card (for Component video), then hook it to a nice large monitor.

Jopapa

QuoteMy, that's a tall order in the US. High end TVs in Europe can handle all that if I remember right. In the US your best bet is to setup a video PC and throw in a TV-tuner card (capable of taking both PAL and NTSC) and a HDTV-tuner card (for Component video), then hook it to a nice large monitor.
I wouldn't even bother putting anything for video input into the PC. Zenith makes an HDTV tuner with VGA-out, and with the addition of a VGA switchbox, you could switch between that, the PC (if you're using one, such as my case will be), and the XRGB2+. I think your best bet will be to go that route. Or you COULD try to get a PAL plasma TV imported, but I would expect that to be pretty difficult  :unsure: