Replacement CD Lenses

Started by kendrick, May 29, 2007, 06:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kendrick

I'm attempting to fix a US-region Turbo Duo unit that I acquired a couple of years ago. All the usual tweaking didn't work, and while searching around I stumbled on this page:

http://www.teamfremont.com/features/TurboDuoRepair.shtml

Apparently, the Turbo CD, Duo and Duo-R have really well-documented part numbers that make repair a snap, at least compared to the potentiometer turning nonsense I've been doing all day. So if you add the Sony Playstation part numbers, you have the beginnings of a list:

Turbo Duo - Hitachi HOP-M3
Turbo CD - Sony KSS-220A
Playstation SCPH-5XXXX - Sony KSM440ADM
Playstation SCPH-7XXXX - Sony KSM440AEM
Playstation PSOne - Sony KSM440BAM

I'm pretty sure the first two are accurate. Can anybody out there confirm the Playstation CD lens model numbers and maybe add parts for our other favorite consoles? I'm particularly interested to know if the Samsung and JVC lenses used in the Saturn and Mega CD are documented anywhere, or if you can divine the part number just from pulling it out and turning it over.

-KKC

ken_cinder

Playstation SCPH-9001 - Sony KSM440AEM
Playstation 2 SCPH39001 - Sony KHS-400C

I happen to have one of each in pieces on my dining room table right now, gladly get back to you later with more. Interested in Xbox assemblies? I repair and sell Samsung drives and I know ALL the assemblies.

kendrick

Bring 'em on, any part numbers you got. I was surprised at how many of these CD lens mechanisms are still on the market and available to end consumers for purchase. I figure we get enough of this data together and it's worth a new Wiki page.

-KKC

ken_cinder

Xbox - Samsung SDG-605 Version B: SOH-D16 or SOH-D12 (SOH-D16 does not have adjustable pots to my knowledge, 12 does.......16 newer revision and seems to be of higher quality standard however.)

Xbox - Samsung SDG-605 Version A: SOH-DX1

Xbox - Samsung SDG-605 Version F: I'm not sure here, these drives are the bastard children of the Xbox community. NOBODY wants em, but I'm pretty sure they use an SOH-D12 or SOH-D16 just like the Version B.

Xbox - Philips VAD6035/21: OPU-5161

Xbox - Philips VAD 6011: SPU-3141

That's all I've got for now. Finally, something I can contribute to that I know lots about.......

Lost Monkey

I was snooping around some parts websites today and found that the Sony KSS-220a (TGCD) is often cross referenced to the KSS-162a - which is much cheaper to purchase...  I found this on 3 different parts sites (including Best Buy's own parts site).

I opened my TGCD tonight and found I have a KSS-162a in there, so I would consider it confirmed.  Mine doesn't spin up a disc at all and it is a problem that had just gradually gotten worse over the years until it got to this point...

I've got the Hitachi drive on order for my Duo (mine makes some nasty squealing  noises and has a relatively high rate of disc errors) and I will call in the morning to add the KSS drive to my order.

I will report back here on the success/failure of the TGCD repair, as I have not found anyone that has confirmed a successful repair in the searching I have done...

Thanks for starting the topic KKC - I have been meaning to do something with my TGCD for a long while now and this was the incentive/inspiration I needed.

blackevilweredragon

Sega CD Model 1 - KSS 240a  (the worst piece of crap ever!)

kendrick

Looks like for the two Xbox iterations, we're looking at part numbers for whole drives rather than just lens assemblies. That's okay, because in other consoles the disk drive is an intergrated unit rather than a removable component unit. It's a little impractical to open up the aluminum case of the DVD drive and replace just the lens any way, so that all makes a lot of sense.

I'm going to hunt around for info on the other current-gen consoles, since that info is relatively easy to find (from the number of people who are disappointed with the crappy quality control and want to effect repairs themselves.) If anybody has older part numbers they can share, please feel free to do so.

-KKC

Computolio

Dreamcast - Samsung SPU3200

I think that's for the lazer itself instead of the lazer + the servo.

I also have a busted Rev.2 Sega CD that I need to look at. When I finally get around to doing so I'll try to get the part number for it's lazer.

jetblue

I made a post about dreamcast lens at the dcforums uk but i think its gone.
From what i discovered the dreamcast uses 2 different forms of the spu3200:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jetbue7/dclens1.jpg
slight groove diffrence:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jetbue7/dclens2.jpg

with one laser cover square and the other kinda roundish and the grooves inside of the mechanism to accommodate it. These are old pictures but il try and make some new ones.
Changing the squarish laser to a unit that has the smaller roundish laser wont fit.
But you can put the smaller one in where the squarish one was. I put a roundish one in and it worked but some odd strange distortions of the game were noted but nothing major. Still playable. And there were slowness in cut scenes.

Now that i see the pictures again i suspect the laser to the left is a completely diffrent model. Cause i cant find spu3200 written on it like the other one. I will investigate this further.

update:
It is a diffrent model. I searched all over it for markings and all i found were the sticker numbers of:R48G
So i googled and came up with 2 hits,chinese of course:
http://www.21tvgame.com/ks/index.htm
http://www.vcdpickup.com/psj.htm

I also looked through pages of cd pickups by samsung to try and find a similar looking laser and found nothing. Could it be this one rare instance that sega had a special laser made that was not used in anyother equipment? This is rare and would of costed sega some big bucks to do.

Some more pics of the 3 diffrent drives used by the dreamcast:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jet...es003drives.jpg

left one is the SAMSUNG drive made in china and is a circle 1 WK model on the bottom sticker of the unit. Has in it a R48G model number laser. Some of the first produced models. November 1999
The center one is a YAMAHA drive made in japan and is circle 2 SA model. Has a SPU 3200 laser. I think the second produced models. June 2000
The right one has no markings and i think is a generic YAMAHA drive stripped down to reduce production costs,circle 2 SA model. Has a SPU 3200 laser. I think some of the last produced models. November 2000

I may be wrong about the models and dates. If you can look at your laser from the open lid and look at the bottom sticker and post the info we can get accurate figures. I only had 4 dreamcasts and 3 broken drives to compare. And any other info or corrections would be helpful.

Is there anything special between diffrent drives? Does one have more features? Stuff like that i wonder. Im sure there are many secrets to uncover from the GD-ROM.

Anyone know what the sega cdx laser model number is?

kendrick

I'm pretty certain the GD-ROM laser in the Dreamcast is a custom part. The drive was only ever used in the Dreamcast and the Naomi arcade boards, and the Dreamcast is one of the few console designs not licensed for production by Sega's partners. It's no surprise to me that there would be no supply and no demand for the GD-ROM laser. That'll suck for repairs down the road.

-KKC

NFG

The drive was actually manufactured by Yamaha, as far as I remember.  Some yamaha drives were available for PCs that could be used to write DC discs.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Woo, 2084 posts.  <3 Robotron.

kendrick

You're right, there was one model of Yamaha CD-RW writer that you could vary the bit density on. Not many people made use of it because it was hard to get GD-R disks. The idea was that you could flash the ROM on that guy and use it to read GD-ROM disks as well, but it wasn't too reliable for that purpose since it was homebrew code in the ROM. I'm pretty sure that wasn't ever an intentional feature of that particular lens though, and no telling if you could adapt that part to fit into a real Dreamcast.

-KKC, who got an SMD soldering station for his birthday, yay!

ken_cinder

Those Xbox part numbers I posted are NOT whole units. The samsung models are capable of using more than 1 laser model revision, except for the A model.

I have the actual B units sitting here right now actually (6 of them to be precise). And the Philips models, I have 1 in my own Xbox which can make use of 2 laser types (I'm just not sure of the 2nd model)

Done enough with them to know, you must have some rather malformed Google'ing info.
The fact that they are interchangeable, seperate units makes no difference. 10 years from now, when someone goes looking for a laser for their specific drive, they'll need to know the laser model, not the drive model/revision.

Incase I've confused you:

Xbox - Samsung SDG-605 Version A: SOH-DX1

Drive Model Laser Assembly Model

In the B revision drives, I can stick an SOH-D12 or SOH-D16 laser assembly in it.

kendrick

Okay cool, thanks for the correction. I haven't opened up any of the Xbox drives yet, so I haven't seen the part numbers. Are they generally stamped in the same place? I'm about ready to propose having a photographic record of these parts as well as part numbers, just so people aren't confused the way I was.

-KKC

ken_cinder

The lasers themselves generally have a sticker on them on the side of the metal casing denoting the model number.
Otherwise if you know what you're looking at, you can tell what model the laser is based on just how strikingly different some of them look even within the same drive model.

If you look up the TOP60 lasers (For Thomson drives) you may find another variation of it that looks VERY different. I forget the other laser model for Thomsons, but if you Google I'm sure you'll find it (I'm too lazy right now, and it's 11pm)