Sonic Sprite History

Started by NFG, January 02, 2007, 11:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NFG

I've completed a new sprite history:

Sonic Sprite History.  

Your comments are welcomed!

FM-77

Very interesting article! I never noticed how chubby Sonic looks in Sonic 3.

By the way, is the cursor on this screenshot intentional?

Great article, I like it.

"The last 2D Sonic to see release was on Nintendo's GameBoy Advance".

Wasn't there some more? I thought there was a couple more Sonic Advance sequals on the GBA, and then I think theres at least one 2D on the Nintendo DS?

O Wilmot.

PS- I tried to register but it didnt let me :(

NFG

O Wilmot: stop using banned email addresses to register and it will stop preventing your registration.

As for GBA, I didn't say there was only one GBA Sonic, only that the GBA was where Sonic's last 2D game was.  All the sprites used in GBA sonic games are the same.  As for the DS, it's polygon characters on 2D backgrounds.  =(

Seldane: er, yes.  I mean. no.  dammit!

blackevilweredragon

QuoteVery interesting article! I never noticed how chubby Sonic looks in Sonic 3.

By the way, is the cursor on this screenshot intentional?

That's a Windows 9X cursor..  So it's by accident.

holtin

What about Sonic N for Ngage and Sonic CD for Sega CD

NFG

Sonic CD is covered (same sprites as Sonic 1).  NGage is a good call though.

"Sega's massive following in Brazil, Europe and Australia where, even as late as 2003, the Master System was seeing new releases."

I've heard that about Brazil, and I can't speak for Europe, but there haven't been any new Master System games here in Australia since well before 2003.

NFG

QuoteI've heard that about Brazil, and I can't speak for Europe, but there haven't been any new Master System games here in Australia since well before 2003.
What's funny is it used to just say Brazil, but an SMS fan said that I should mention its popularity in Australia and the UK.  =/

FM-77

Sonic N is just a port of Sonic Advance, no changes there.

Visitor from Slashdot here -- way to graciously respond to the review :)

This might sound like I'm illiterate, but I'll ask anyway -- what exactly does "Sonic's feet were snapped into place from the second game onwards" mean?

NFG

QuoteVisitor from Slashdot here -- way to graciously respond to the review
Heh, he sure tore it apart.  And rightfully so, I think.  All of his complaints were totally justified.  The book's still good, in many respects, but it was so badly assembled that one reviewer flat out refused to write about it 'cause it was so badly compromised.

QuoteThis might sound like I'm illiterate, but I'll ask anyway -- what exactly does "Sonic's feet were snapped into place from the second game onwards" mean?
Aw hell, f**ked if I know.  I think I was trying to say that his feet were (possibly broken and reset) rearranged so they didn't point inwards as he ran.  Put another way, 'Sega realized Sonic ran with an unusual gait so they re-drew the feet to look more acceptable.'

Or something.  =)

kendrick

Guys, this topic is ending up a frequent target for spam, so I'm closing it for now. Feel free to start a new topic if you're interested in further discussion.

-KKC