Genesis output (DIN 9) to DB-9 adapter success

Started by Segasonicfan, January 30, 2007, 01:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segasonicfan

Sad to say this was one of the hardest things I've ever had to build.  It was totally worth it though because now I don't need to drill any DB-9 holes into my Genny consoles!  I had to make this especially for my new CDX portable in order to conserve as much space as possible...

I made the adapter from a CDX RF adapter because it actually has ALL the pins needed for RGB.  However, after prying open the metal frame of the DIN-9 I found that the pins did not go all the way through the plastic of the connector.  So I had to solder in my own pins which was very difficult because they went in pretty deep and making a good solder contact took several tries.  After that I wired 30AWG wires to the new pins and closed up the metal frame again.  I ran many continuity checks to make sure everything was connected properly and then I filled the back inside of the frame (around the new pics and wires) full of hot glue.  

After that things were much easier, just bought a plastic DB-9 hood so I could drill easily and widened the cable output end.  Drilled a place for the plug to fit and soldered it tightly to the DB-9 so it could be plugged in and pushed firmly and voila!  You could also use this as a 32X cable ^_^

-Segasonicfan
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

chaoticjelly

Dont mean to poo-poo your work, but why not just use an in line 9 pin din connector? Why go to all that trouble?  :blink:  

FM-77

Impressive work! Looks really good! But I wonder, why did you harvest that mini din-9 connector instead of buying a brand new one? Would've saved you a lot of trouble for sure.

kendrick

If the end result will be the same, I'm strongly in favor of recycling components. Mining is incredibly dangerous and environmentally hazardous, the way that it is mechanized today. One of the reasons game console modders have my respect and support is because we reuse a lot of metal components, rather than throwing them away or leaving them lying around. We should reuse and recycle whenever possible.

-KKC

Segasonicfan

QuoteIf the end result will be the same, I'm strongly in favor of recycling components. Mining is incredibly dangerous and environmentally hazardous, the way that it is mechanized today. One of the reasons game console modders have my respect and support is because we reuse a lot of metal components, rather than throwing them away or leaving them lying around. We should reuse and recycle whenever possible.

-KKC

Yeah, that's one of the things I love most about electronics.  I just have a pile of PCBs that were throw  out that I use for parts.  Recycling is one reason I made my own Din 9 but also because they don't sell any locally (Jameco or Radio Shack) and I didn't want to have to order from Mouser and pay $5 shipping for one small part.  Also, I couldn't find a DIN-9 that looked EXACTLY like a Genesis plug so I wasn't even sure an ordered one would work.

-Segasonicfan
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

NFG

Except that I didn't have to create my own pins, it looks exactly like the Saturn -> DB9 I made years ago.

I wonder if I have any pics of that...

Aha!

http://gamesx.com/avpinouts/saturnav.htm

Good work.  =)

jetblue