Quick question: Recommended Viewing technology for old-school-3d.

Started by ninn, December 30, 2011, 07:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninn

Hi freaks!  ;D

I was just thinking about the best viewing experience for ps1 games ... you know, those early, blocky 3d-style-games, that just looks bad compared to nowaday's standard. I was not able to find something like that on the internets, so I thought this would be the most appropriate forum to ask about your opinion.

example given:
You love to watch your NES Games on a CRT, probably a trinitron.
And you love to play your XBOX360 on your plasma fullhd flatscreen over hdmi,
and you enjoy the dreamcast with your vgabox on your (trinitron) vga-monitor.

But what do you think is the best method for displaying PS1 and alike gaming consoles?

If they can output RGB, will you put it on a commodore gaming monitor? Do you think this will make them look best?

What do you do at home?

Just a thread to collect your preferences with those borderline (  :P ) 3d-gaming-systems like Sega Saturn, PlayStation 1 , N64 and  and how they all were called.

kind regards,
ninn, curious  :-*

imparanoic

probably a good compromise for modern display and older 3d

xrgb 2/2+/3 or even mini using schp1050 rgb cable or cheaper custom made jp rgb on  modern tv, i personally like it on my sony lcd and xrgb2+ for ps1 2d and 3d games.

though i can live ( though i don't really like it) with ps3 emulator of ps1, it's not great, ok for considering it does not cost anything.

I can not really go back to crt, but i do miss the lack of point blank on modern tvs and consoles, so I even so often go back to my parents crt at their home !

tcancian

The best way to display those games, in my opinion, is using RGB at a SDTV CRT, most games for the Nintendo 64, PlayStation 1 and Sega Saturn will go 240p mode (320x240 @60 fps) and since most games were developed with that resolution in mind, textures (in general, bitmaps) and policount will look okay.

If you live in the USA, where there's no RGB, you can buy a RGB to YPrPb, which is pretty much a lossless, zero-lag conversion and have the best image possible. If you could also find a CRT Projector or a XBR series from SONY, you're in heaven, as far as 90s games go. In my setup, I use a 38" CRT from Sony, though it's not a XBR  :P.

The reason why, is that CRTs draw all the lines for old games natively, whereas LCD/Plasma only have "one resolution" (aka native, it's a physical matrix of pixels), hence the need for upscaling devices.

A Commodore game monitor will be fine I guess, but still, those are old, and by now are probably a lot more degraded in terms of image quality than CRTs made in the 2000s.

Even the StarFox 64 multiplayer is playable on the Nintendo 64 at a CRT when using RGB, and that's quite a feat (if you ever played the game with four people on a 14" using RF in Sector Z, you probably know what I mean).