Wii Component cable is available in the US!!!

Started by RGB32E, November 16, 2006, 10:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxamusCrasious

...Sorry, I worded that a bit funny. What I was trying to say is:  Will the wii output progressive video for the gamecube games that support progressivce scan, or will all gamecube be outputted in interlaced mode?

Mario DDR output in progressive scan when played on my Wii

acem77

Quote...Sorry, I worded that a bit funny. What I was trying to say is:  Will the wii output progressive video for the gamecube games that support progressivce scan, or will all gamecube be outputted in interlaced mode?
the wii will only output progressive scan on gamecube games that normally supported it.
i really wished the wii would make every gamecube game run in progressive scan
:(

MaxamusCrasious

Quotethe wii will only output progressive scan on gamecube games that normally supported it.
i really wished the wii would make every gamecube game run in progressive scan
sad.gif
Thats what I thought, UPS just dropped the cables off... hmm I have 2 hours before I have to goto work! Time for more zelda

WingWu

QuoteThats what I thought, UPS just dropped the cables off... hmm I have 2 hours before I have to goto work! Time for more zelda
Thank you very much you guys!

I got some information about GameCube: NTSC mode console support S-video but PAL console doesn't. NTSC console is for US and the latter is for US. I know this is very childish. Please don't make fun of me. Haha...... :lol:

I just wondering whether Wii got the same problem.  

WingWu

QuoteThats what I thought, UPS just dropped the cables off... hmm I have 2 hours before I have to goto work! Time for more zelda
Thank you very much you guys!

I got some information about GameCube: NTSC mode console support S-video but PAL console doesn't. NTSC console is for US and the latter is for US. I know this is very childish. Please don't make fun of me. Haha...... :lol:

I just wondering whether Wii got the same problem.
Sorry, I got something wrong:NTSC console is for US and the latter is for "UK".

Quote...Sorry, I worded that a bit funny. What I was trying to say is:  Will the wii output progressive video for the gamecube games that support progressivce scan, or will all gamecube be outputted in interlaced mode?
you need to enable p.scan mode when you loading gc game.
just same with you playing gc. press b button when loading the game....

antony

Quotefinially i got LM1881N, but i was try it. it cant got any signal when i use it rgb mode..... :(
In RGB Mode, Composite line is used for composite sync.
So, you must have a signal.
What is wrong ?
yes. i was use Composite line to connect to lm1881n. but also no signal for vga...
both i was try my lcdtv and crt monitor.... :(  

viletim!

QuoteI've now added a 39k resistor into the red wire on the RGB scart lead - the wire that goes to pin 8 of the scart that is responsible for widescreen switching. This has dropped the the 12v coming from the Wii down to about 6v, so the TV now auto-switches to 16x9.

OK, this still isn't proper widescreen switching, where the Wii would correctly tell the TV the aspect on pin 8, but given that most Wii games are 16x9 anamorphic I think it's better for the TV to initially auto-switch to 16x9, than to 4x3 as it does with the 12v signal that the Wii normally puts on pin 8.
This is not a reliable way to get ~6 volts to the SCART's CVBS Status pin (8). The input resistance of this pin is defined only as 10k ohms or greater you should use two resistors in a voltage divider configuration to feed this pin.
.                 (SCART RGB status)
.                         |
.                 2k2     |     2k2
.(Wii +12v) ------RRR-----+-----RRR------ (Ground)

2.2k is a good value because it doesn't draw too much current even if loaded with 10k from the SCART, the voltage doesn't fall outside of the spec.

night

you guys are awesome.

so... maybe this will help someone. just wanna share...
i just got my wii yesterday at lunch. hooked it up to me projector and holy shot it looked like ass. rca video ftl.

so tonight after work i go straight out and grab some component cables. plug it all up and i get.. nothing.
after a lot of swapping it and my dvd drive between my projector and a tube tv in my mame cab with component in, verifying cable and wii are ok, i head to the net.
spent like 2 hours reading and somewhere along the the lines, on here and other random places, i got the feel from the way rgb/vga works compared to the Y/Cr/Cb to try something.

headed back out, plugged wii into tube tv, set it to progressive. screen went blank (it doesnt do progressive). turn it off then moved everything back to my projector and hooked it all back up. turned her and... action :D.
quick check of settings and im still in progressive.

my projector is the infocus X1 that was so popular. i have a component -> vga adapter that i use with my dvd player. it seems that it would not take a signal from the wii (Y/Cb/Cr) but once i put it in progressive the projector took it.

well, hope that means something extra to you guys. i only have zelda with it so as far trying another game and then coming back to a progressive game im not sure of the easiest steps i would need to take. if i switched to the rca plug the went back to the component, im unsure if it would resume progressive automatically, although it seems like once its set in the system settings it will always do that first as long as it detects the component cable.

acem77

wow 100,000 + views thats some record that will be hard to beat.  :blink:

kendrick

Don't be too impressed. Since this specific thread was linked on several gaming blogs, the automated spam processes have flagged it as a target. Easily a third of those views aren't likely to be from a human accessing the page.

-KKC, doing fun things with N-gage video.

yon

QuoteI got my RGB 'cable' made just recently and the difference in picture is amazing. Im running my Wii in 60Hz mode and I'm pretty sure its using NTSC rather than PAL60.
Anyway, here it is:
user posted image

Im using a different pinout for the 9 pin D connector than the one shown on the GamesX main site. I think it would be quite easy to add a component on/off switch and build a component adapter cable for it. I put a 75Ohm resistor in series on the composite video line and I havn't used capacitors and the picture is spot on.

Can you give please me a schematic of the conections you made???

acem77

QuoteDon't be too impressed. Since this specific thread was linked on several gaming blogs, the automated spam processes have flagged it as a target. Easily a third of those views aren't likely to be from a human accessing the page.

-KKC, doing fun things with N-gage video.
still am impressed even for the fact it was link to so many gaming blogs  :o .

now for what i am very unimpressed about.... :angry:
damn it nintendo why is 480p still not standared on the wii?!
i just bougth Trauma Center: Second Opinion to find out it was not wide screen or 480p  <_< .
then i did some other research to find out the other game i wanted rayman is not.
i think one more i wanted is not also metal slug anthology(still have to check) but i dont care too much i have the aes ver of all metal slugs i just want it mainly for part 6 :(.

NFG

Metal Slug has many other issues making it unworthy of a purchase: It doesn't support the digital pad, on the retro pad or the GameCube pads, so you're limited to the analogue.  Disgusting, there's no excuse for that.

And yeah, Nintendo could sure do with a little more hi-res gaming.  

Shane

Hi guys.

Just wondered. I am trying to connect my PAL Wii through S-Video and purchased an aftermarket S-Video cable from Ebay. This did not work and gave me a flickering screen which was B+W.

I came to the conclusion that this was as the cable was meant for a US Wii. This was confirmed by the seller who contacted the cables makers who later refunded me.

My question is I have seen that CD WOW are selling an OFFICIAL S-Video cable for the Wii:

http://www13.cd-wow.com/detail_results_3.p...ct_code=1855464

Do you think they have just imported some from the states without doing their research first or do any of you know if this is likely to work?

I just want to know before wasting more time ordering and returning another cable...

Thank you in advance for your time,
Shane

whitewiz

is your tv old? if so. browse the setting on the tv and try to find if you can switch to s-video on that port you are using.

I have a replacement-tv right now.(my tv broke =()
And I plugged in the s-video cable in it and got a b&w image.

I then went to pinouts.ru and looked up s-video. Then i modiefied the s-videocable with the S-Video to Composite video adapter pinout.(http://pinouts.ru/VideoCables/svideo2RCA_pinout.shtml)

I then got color.. i thought.. hmm.. wtf...

so i started looking in the setting of the tv. and apparently you were forced to switch between video and s-video signal in the settings for that port, aswell as the scart-ports.

If i use component video with tv set on s-video i get B&W.
And if i use s-video with tv set on component video i get B&W.

So check if your tv has some settings! :)

TotOOntHeMooN

QuoteJust wondered. I am trying to connect my PAL Wii through S-Video and purchased an aftermarket S-Video cable from Ebay. This did not work and gave me a flickering screen which was B+W.
Hello,

"PAL" Wii doesn't support S-Video and "NTSC" Wii doesn't support RGB.
The video chip probably have a "factory switch" (resistor ?) to select the mode.
I don't have both Wii to open it and check the configuration.
Sorry...

Shane

Thank you for the reply...

I am plugging it into my projector which I believed was NTSC compatible, but as the last unofficial cable did not work I then started thinking the US cable was not compatible with my UK Wii.

So is anyone aware of Nintendo releasing an S-Video cable for the UK Wii yet or is this definately a US cable they are selling in the UK???

Thanks again,
Shane

Tak

QuoteSo is anyone aware of Nintendo releasing an S-Video cable for the UK Wii yet or is this definately a US cable they are selling in the UK???
CD WOW is based in China so the S-video cable they are selling is the standard official Japanese one that is only compatible with NTSC machines.

It's unlikely that the PAL Wii supports S-video, since the pinout is now known.  I guess there could be a software or unknown mode switch, otherwise an internal mod might be the only solution.

Rockard

Anyone willing to try out opening the machine and make some experiments about svideo/rgb mode switch? I would, but don't wanna buy a machine until I know if ntsc-model can do rgb. :P

kendrick

Thanks everybody for contributing to the knowledge shared in this discussion topic. The popularity of this information means that this thread has been linked on Joystiq, Hack-A-Day, Slash/Dot and several other news and blog pages. Unfortunately, this also means that this thread is a frequent target for spam bots and other unsolicited advertising. Therefore, I'll be closing this topic and no further updates will be permitted.

Please feel free to start a new discussion topic if you have additional information to share. Also, I encourage you to use the GamesX Wiki to share technical information.

-KKC