Wii Component cable is available in the US!!!

Started by RGB32E, November 16, 2006, 10:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGB32E

Nintendo is now selling component video cables for the Wii (limit 1 per person).  These won't hit US retail stores till after Dec. 5th.  Since I'm in the area of NOA, I walked over to their service center and bought one!!!  I'll be posting a partial pinout (component, GND and audio) and pictures in a couple of hours!!!

NFG

RGB32E

Here is a shot of the cable!

RGB32E

No, it isn't the same connector as the "Digital AV" output on the first main revision of the gamecube.  So, at this point in time it looks as though there will be NO RGB on the Wii.  The connector looks like it might be able to be opened without destroying it!

RGB32E

The Wii connector appears to be overall very similar to the legacy SNES style connector, offering 16 connections instead of 12.

RGB32E

Here is the partial pinout.  (Not Complete)

NFG

TJ_Kat

just to be a bit nit-picky on what you have got complete, in the photo you took of the pins it doesn't look like there is a pin 7, but you're got pin 7 listed as carrying Pr... so, is that an oops, or am i just crazy and should shut up now?

Hojo_Norem

I don't know if theres any validity to it but here in the UK the Woolworths chain are offering for pre-order a RGB cable to the Wii.Linky here.

Perhaps one of the pins selects between RGB/Component in a similar way the XBox and Dreamcast select between their output modes?  I just hope that one of those unknown pins might be Digital audio, but one can only hope! ^_^
Formerly 'butter_pat_head'

RGB32E

Good catch TJ_Kat.  I created the pinout in haste, and mis labeled the component signals!  I suppose RGB may very well be possible, as 16 connections are available.  However, I have a feeling that the NTSC Wii systems will omit the RGB connections (like the Gamecube).  I'll find out on Sunday though!!!  The Wii won't be available in Europe till next month...

dustinh2k

I took a break from Zelda to tear into the standard composite cable that came with my Wii.  The outer cover slides off if you shove something thin in the notches around the edge.  Its just a simple cable, no DAC or other electronics, just straight pins to wires.  The pin numbering stamped inside the connector is slightly different than the diagram posted.  1-15 on top, 2-16 on bottom.  Here is my attempt at an ASCII diagram:

Wii Composite AV Cable

Looking into back of cable connector:
| -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --   |
|  2  4  6  8 10 12 14 16  /
|_________________________/

Pin  Signal
1    Audio Left
2    Audio Right
3    Composite Video
4    N/C
5    GND (Audio Left)
6    GND (Audio Right)
7    N/C
8    N/C
9    N/C
10   N/C
11   N/C
12   GND (Composite Video)
13   N/C
14   N/C
15   N/C
16   N/C

I want to make an RGB cable and need to figure out if there is a Component/RGB select pin of some sort.  In the past I have made an SNES/N64 RGB cable by combining two standard Composite cables, and inserting the pins from the 2nd cable into the locations for the RGB signals in the connector of the 1st.

It looks like something similar can be done with the Wii cable, provided we can figure out the output select pin assignments.  If someone with the component cable could take the cover off and report on the internal connections, it would be much appreciated.  Please label the specific ground pins for each wire's shielding as I have.

NFG

I've taken the info from this thread and created a wiki page with the details.

I've assumed dustin's pin numbering was correct, and I THINK I translated RGB32E's pinout to the new scheme correctly.

http://nfggames.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:wii_multi_av_pinout

Update as required!

RGB32E

Hey Lawrence, thanks for the credit!  I should be getting a second AV cable to dissect later today and will hopefully find the RGB output.  If it isn't switched (I highly doubt it at this point), I suspect that RGBS will be on pins 13-16.  However, that�s just a hunch, and the NTSC models might not have RGB output (e.g. Gamecube).  

But since Nintendo simply made a 16 pin version of the legacy SNES connector (for the Wii), the likely hood of RGB without mode select seems plausible.  The 12 pins on the SNES style connector are enough to facilitate component, Y/C, composite, audio, Vcc, and grounds (if RGBS wasn't available, and the same connector had been kept).

So, I'll update the Wiiki (lol) when I find the Vcc and RGBS assignments (hopefully), unless someone else finds it first!

RGB32E

Dustin, I just checked my Wii Component cable and found that the cable is wired such that all of grounds on the RCA connectors are wired to the same set of GND pins.  The GND wiring (on the component cable) isn't quite the same as you described for the composite cable.  Mind you, that the cable was NOT connected to the system while using the Volt meter. :)

Besides, on this system (and all others that come to mind), is that GND is GND... The GND pins used for audio in the composite cable were chosen for manufacturing reasons, and not because you have to use pins 5 and 6 for audio GND.  Hence, the GNDs are not isolated (in this situation), there just needs to be a connection.  I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here!

RGB32E

I just checked the system itself, and found that pins 5, 6, and 12 are the ONLY GND connections.  So, make what you will of this!

Also, it looks like pin 13 is +12V DC, pin 4 is +5V DC, and have updated the Wiki.

blackevilweredragon

im wondering if pin 8 is the S-Video "C"...  since the audio are on reverse sides, maybe C would be on the reverse side of the Component Y (since the Y are exactly the same for Svideo and Component)..  just a thought..

RGB32E

I'll be trying both pins 8 and 10 for a chroma signal.  Thankfully I've located the DC Voltage connections (4 and 13), so I shouldn't be destroying anything by trying 8 and 10.  

Also, Nintendo's component video cable has pins inserted at position 8 and 10.  However, they don't appear to be connected to any wire.  Nor are they jumpered together for some speculated "mode select."  I tried opening the hood on the component cable, but realized that the connector hood was getting blemished, so I'll wait for another cable to mess with. :|

Buck Wild

While your at it, a pinout of the sensor bar connector would be great.  Theres gotta be a way to hook that up to a battery pack for people with projectors.

konfoo

The sensor bar is power and ground. I already extended mine to 50ft without problems (I have a projector).

RGB32E

Battery Pack!?  What, do you think the sensor bar is an old gameboy? :wacko: The sensor bar has only two connections!  Sounds like you're going to need to wait till you actually have a Wii, projector, and an accessory that doesn't exist! RTFM  

acem77

i was happy to find this info.
i have to wait a week or so before i can get my component cables.
i refuse to play a game like zelda in composite.
so i ripped apart my stock cable used a few jumper cables and paper clips BAM! now i have a component cable over night :D

one big thing has to be done! you have to jumper pins 8 and 10 to enable component video with progressive scan.
no jumper you cant select 480p under options.
remove it mid game the screen goes black.
hope this tip helps.

if needing a custome pcb for rgb on a 3do did not stop me a silly jumper sure would not :P

this mess will hold me over till i can buy the cable

NFG

Awesome work, acem.  Truly using the info the way it was intended.  =D

I updated the wiki with the 8&10 info.

RGB32E

I'm glad the info I posted helped!  I just checked my component cable again, and yes, pins 8 and 10 are jumpered! :o  So that leaves 3 pins unidentified, and other potential jumper combinations unknown!  Where are you Y/C?!  <_<  

QuoteBattery Pack!?  What, do you think the sensor bar is an old gameboy? :wacko: The sensor bar has only two connections!  Sounds like you're going to need to wait till you actually have a Wii, projector, and an accessory that doesn't exist! RTFM
Ya, a battery pack.  Please explain to me why this is not possible if the 2 wires from the sensor bar are just power and ground.  

blackevilweredragon

How does the Composite cable trigger the Wii?  Chances are the same trigger enables Y/C (like some other consoles)..

When the Composite cable is triggered, does the Y work?  if it does, then the C must be around there somewhere..

dustinh2k

Thanks for the info RGB32E and acem77, nice work!

My theory about the GND connections fizzled out with this new info, oh well.  Yes I realize they are not usually isolated, but I was hoping that one of them was not a ground, but a mode select pin which either got jumpered to ground or not, depending on which cable is plugged in.

I'm still holding out for a way to get it to output RGB instead of Y/Pb/Pr...  VGA on the gamecube looks awesome, and the Wii deserves the same.

NFG

dustin: Typically a pin that is grounded to select a different mode is held high until it's grounded.  That is, it'll read +5v until it's connected to ground.

Normally when you connect +5v to GND you get a nice little sparky and then your console either blows a fuse or simply dies.  These 'sense' lines that are grounded to select a mode will be protected by a nice big resistor.  This makes them read +5v until connected to GND, at which point the resistor prevents too much current from getting through, and the chip at the other end goes "Ho!  The HIGH status has ended, and now we're grounded!  Something is connected here!"

Controllers work the same way: each button is HIGH until connected to GROUND.

The upshot of all this is that, when looking for a sense line on the connector, it won't read GROUND until you attach something to it.

That said, don't go attaching GROUND lines to the +5V!!!  Use a nice 10k resistor to keep things from asploding.

RGB32E

You could pickup a component cable and a transcoder to have a VGA output!  It wouldn't be too far from what a moded cube component cable does.

Mr. Battery Pack, if you have a muli-meter, check the output connector to find out the voltage requirement for the bar, and proceed accordingly (if you have the skills to make your own).  And you could even start another thread, as the sensor bar is kinda off topic!  :P  

dustinh2k

Yeah I was considering the VDigi VD-Z3 Component-VGA transcoder, but at $60, plus $30 for the Wii component cable, that is $90 more than I am willing to spend if I can make it myself.   :P  

ecow

acem77,

Is there any chance we could get some close up pictures or a guide as to how you got that working?  I'm desperate for a component connection that I'm willing to make one myself.  

Thanks!

NFG

ecow:  All the information you're looking for is on the wiki, and in this thread.  What do you want him to do, teach you how electricity works and then mail you some wire?

I mean, seriously, wow.  If you can't figure it out from the diagram...

(Hrm, I can see how I have a reputation for being unkind...)

thepissedoffman

First I would like to thank you guys for the work you have done so far. You guys seem to be the first to have done anything like this so far.

I was looking at my RCA cables and there is no pin on the cable that connects to 3. There is one that connects to 4. Maybe you guys just mad a mistake like I have done so many times in my life or maybe it is me making the mistake.

I have never made video cables before but have a decent understanding of electronics so I want to make my own cables since I hate waiting.

For the Y Pb Pr signals do I need to ground the cables that will carrie those signals to the same ground (12)? Or do I not even have to ground them?

Am I right in assuming that I don't need to mess with the +5VDC and +12VDC connections since I just want to make some component cables?

I plan on making a n00bs guide, for the fellow n00bs like myself, one how to make your own component cables and will of course credit you guys for all of this information.

Thanks and great work guys

The Afroman

Ok,
acem77, you just made my day, well actually most of you guys did..

any way to get a detailed write up on making a set of these? how much of you original cable is left?

I joined after this was linked on xbox-scene great job guys,  freakin nintendo, short making a cable there is a high demand for.

The Afroman

acm, any way to get a tutorial on what and how you did it?

NFG

blackevilweredragon

that's ok...

im actually surprised Nintendo didn't keep the old connector from the older generation..

Soundfx4

I'd like to know what acem77 did as well.  The pinout is just one piece of the information needed.  But there are many ways to do this, I for one ventured out looking for a composite video cable that might have all the pins in it, but I couldn't even find a composite video cable!  My only other choice would be to tear apart the cable that came with my system (which I don't want to do) but even if I did, there are no contacts for the component pins.

So, acem77, how did you do it exactly?  Don't tell me you used paper clips for substitute contacts?...well actually if that is what you did, then please tell me  lol.

antron

the GC cable was a D to A converter.  

the Wii seems to have that built in.

Hojo_Norem

Im planning on getting a RGB scart cable when the Wii gets realeased over here (only 16 days now).  If I get round to it Il probe (and possibly dissect) it and report back my finding here.
Formerly 'butter_pat_head'

acem77

QuoteI'd like to know what acem77 did as well.  The pinout is just one piece of the information needed.  But there are many ways to do this, I for one ventured out looking for a composite video cable that might have all the pins in it, but I couldn't even find a composite video cable!  My only other choice would be to tear apart the cable that came with my system (which I don't want to do) but even if I did, there are no contacts for the component pins.

So, acem77, how did you do it exactly?  Don't tell me you used paper clips for substitute contacts?...well actually if that is what you did, then please tell me  lol.
Really i used paper clips cut to length. :P
my original idea was to use only the original pins.(but i broke too many damn!! you have to slide them back in just right )
there are enough if you dont break any.
leave left and right audio in their spots.
pull composite and the grounds for left and right audio.
all points are grounded in the system so basically to be functional you only need one. just leave the gnd paired with the composite rca.
so you have to move only 3 pins
remove the outer grey cover then  move composite to 7-Y, gndL to 9-Pb/Cb, gndR to 11-Pr/Cr and add one paper clip jumper(8to10).
then just cut off the left and right rcas on the other end of the cable. then separate the positive and gnds for both left and right rca connectors.
connect the positive of the left and right to the the center/positive wires from the rcas you cut off earlier.. to finish up the project you will need two more male rca jacks to connect the outer/gnd wires from the audio left and right.
in turn those will become the positives for PR/Cr and Pb/Cb. then you will have your untouched composite video rca turned into Y  and using its original gnd to ground everything.

since i messed up i used medium sized paper clips and alligator jumps. the medium paper clips fit snug when you push them in to the back of the open socket while its plugged into the system. remove it from the system all the paper clips will fall out. including the jumper.