Wii Component cable is available in the US!!!

Started by RGB32E, November 16, 2006, 10:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RP

I just made my own mod using the pinouts provided. An easier way was to use the Wii Composite cable, use the 3-rca connectors as your Y, Pb, Pr. Crack open the black part of the connector out, just by sticking a flat head screwdriver in between the gray and black and pry out. Then use a sewing NEEDLE to poke into the front part of the connector to pull out the pins carefully. After all the pins are out of the connector, use the NEEDLE to make the little locking pin stick back up a little bit so when you put the pins in it's hole, it will stay put.

Just rearrange the pins to the correct holes using the diagram provided here. I had to connect all 3 ground, but I get Black and White video. I haven't connected audio yet. But doing this way seems alot easier than the Alligator clips and Paperclips. The secret tool is the NEEDLE!

So if someone can solve my Black and White issue, then this could be the most easiest cable mod I've made for a console. Last time I made a vga cable for the gamecube with  success and then sold on ebay.

Quotecan someone PLEASE make a newbs guide step by step please. there seems like to be so many replies jumping from thing to thing that im getting lost.
Most likely no one will do this : \  I know it sucks, but I'm assuming the lack of motivation for putting more effort into this is because the Wii component cables will be out soon.  So there for nobody feels it would be worth it to write out a step by step guide.  I know I'm not gonna do it (mainly because I'm lazy, but also because I haven't done this yet  haha)

Anyway, I'm really sorry, I know exactly how you feel about this, it is a headache and too much hassle trying to go around and piece a puzzle together bit by bit.  Someone may write a guide for it though, I just don't think it will happen anytime soon.
I'm probably going to do this tomorrow. I f I do and I get it to work I will do a step by step guide, including pictures.

Could be a while until the cables are easy to come by.

Parabolee
www.flat-life.com

Soundfx4

I really didn't want to post this question but it has gotten to the point where I've been left no other choice.

How do I get the jacket off of the composite plug that comes with the Wii!?  I've only seen a couple of people ask this so I assumed it was no big deal, but for the love of god the thing will not come off.  I've slid a flat object into the sides of the plug but it certainly does not, "just slide right off".  What is going on?  Do I just have a stubborn cable?  I don't want to tear this thing up if I don't have to and according to this thread I don't have to tear it up, so what am I doing wrong? :(  

meatflower

QuoteI really didn't want to post this question but it has gotten to the point where I've been left no other choice.

How do I get the jacket off of the composite plug that comes with the Wii!?  I've only seen a couple of people ask this so I assumed it was no big deal, but for the love of god the thing will not come off.  I've slid a flat object into the sides of the plug but it certainly does not, "just slide right off".  What is going on?  Do I just have a stubborn cable?  I don't want to tear this thing up if I don't have to and according to this thread I don't have to tear it up, so what am I doing wrong? :(
Took me a while with mine, I had to use two small flathead screw drivers to pry it up above and below the connector, but then it slid back and down the cable.

You need to push off the lock on top and below the connector, at the same time, for it to come off.

I just got back from Radio Shack with some alligator clips so I'm gonna try my hand at all this.  

OK guys we need a COMPLETE step by step instructions on how to make this thing lol.

Creamzsoda

EDIT : Removed pictures for an update. Hopefully I'll get it right this time :P

Creamzsoda

QuoteI really didn't want to post this question but it has gotten to the point where I've been left no other choice.

Try 3 butter knives. Pry it up till the plastic lip (between where the two notches are on both sides and then slide one in to hold it up, do the other side the same way, then slide.

norax

QuoteHow do I get the jacket off of the composite plug that comes with the Wii!? 

I managed to get mine off after a while of trying. What I ended up doing is sticking four little screwdrivers in the slots that are on the bottom of the casing. I really had to push them in pretty far to get it. Then finally the thing just slid off.

The screwdrivers I used were from a precision tool set. They were like .04" to .07" sizes. I'm sure theres a better way to do it, but thats what worked for me.

justinjas

Soundfx:

To get the jacket off mine I had to take a flathead screw driver and wedge it in at the four slotted points on the edge of the connector.  It completly bent up the case so it was no longer usable but I was pretty forceful with it so there might be a better way to get into it.

Once I mangled it this way the case just slid forward off the connector.  Hope that helps.

justinjas

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here.  I got my component cable working tonight, surprisingly it went pretty easily.  I posted a page with the description of everything I did and posted pictures of it.  Take a look at it, hopefully it will help others that read this post and need help doing this.

pages.justinjas.com

If anyone trying this out themselves has questions about how to get theres going feel free to post them and I'll try to help out.  Thanks guys.

NFG

Only one person has reported their technique for removing the Wii end cable cover.  He slid a jeweller's screwdriver into the little slots, and wiggled, basically.  You need to pry both sides off at the same time, that's the trick.  Get a friend and 4 drivers and go crazy.  =)

dustinh2k

Creamzsoda, your pictures are incorrect.  Please edit the pin numbering to match the information on the wiki and change the wiring diagram accordingly, before people get even more confused...

Dormido

Thanks to everybody that contributed all of the wiring info; I was able to rig up a component cable thanks to you guys.  I was able to make a pretty clean cable and once I manage to get my hands on an official one, I'll restore my modded RCA/component cable to it's original form.

Jon

I removed my video composite pin and put it in 7, removed red and white ground pins and put them in 9 and 11. I cut up some spare RCA's to connect the ground from the original nintendo audio cables to the positive of my RCA's and I get nothing period, not even a black and white picture. Do you have to put a paperclip in 8 and 10 to even test? I'm assuming by bridging 8 and 10 is enabling component output?

ShadoX

I just got this to work

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/ShadoX1/DSC02591.jpg

I just got the paperclips in there and attached the wires to em...but this is very temporary...whats the risk of this catching fire or fry the wii or something...(none of it is touching or anything and its not being moved)

tkamen

Hey Everyone,

Thanks to the information in this forum and Wiki I was able to perform the paper clip mod no problem on my composite cable.

For those of you that are still having problems performing this mod I have compiled an article outlining the steps I took. All the information has been gathered from this forum. I tried to include as many pictures as I could.

http://www.tdficq.com/wii_component_cable

Hope this helps.

Thanks again to everyone for all their hard work.

plootid

Hm, I don't know if anyone has considered this, but the european Wii needs to support YUV as well, since that's what LCD-TV's have as input. I think there would be a lot of dissatisfied Wii owners if yuv was removed in favor of rgb.
Has anyone ever (successfully) tried a progressive RGB signal from scart?

My (uneducated) 2 cents.

AngryGuy

QuoteI removed my video composite pin and put it in 7, removed red and white ground pins and put them in 9 and 11. I cut up some spare RCA's to connect the ground from the original nintendo audio cables to the positive of my RCA's and I get nothing period, not even a black and white picture. Do you have to put a paperclip in 8 and 10 to even test? I'm assuming by bridging 8 and 10 is enabling component output?
Even if pin 8 and 10 are not shorted correctly you'll still get a picture but only if your Y cable on pin 7 is making good contact.  

This question is for justinjas, or anyone who has successfully grounded the Y cable...

Did you just use a paperclip extension from one of the ground pins (i.e. 12) to the ground of the Y cable?

Thanks.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't get the paper clips secure enough to hold the connection for more than a few seconds, anyone have any tips?

justinjas

QuoteDid you just use a paperclip extension from one of the ground pins (i.e. 12) to the ground of the Y cable?
Hey, actually I didn't add any other pins than the ones listed.  For the ground connector I took the Y ground and added it to a ground that was already coming out of the connector.  This seemed to be the easiest since the black wire coming out already a nice solder dot on it.

justinjas

QuoteMaybe it's just me, but I can't get the paper clips secure enough to hold the connection for more than a few seconds, anyone have any tips?
I think I used larger paper clips than others here.  Mine fit pretty snug.  Also I didn't really have it sticking up much but maybe bent slightly at the front of the paper clip.  For me though once I got it making a connection, I added super glue to the back of the connector to keep the paper clips in place.  This seemed to offer stability to the paper clips.

tkamen

QuoteMaybe it's just me, but I can't get the paper clips secure enough to hold the connection for more than a few seconds, anyone have any tips?
Make sure you make the bend notch at the entry point. This will make the clip fit snug as well as make proper contact. The image below is an example of how I got mine to work. The upper point of the bend is where the contact is made. Make sure that bend is facing towards the center.

NFG

tkamen: great work on that page.  I'm going to put a link to it on the wiki and the first post of this thread.  I might also mirror it, with your permission.

Jon

Well, I had Y plugged into the Pr on my tv for some reason so I fixed that problem. It's running great now. The 8 to 10 bridge didn't take long at all.

Rakien

Guys, I need some schematics... I suck at this kind of stuff and would really like to use the component cables, without paying a whopping $150 for them on eBay <_<.

I looked at tkamen's link but I'm still too ignorant to understand anything :(.

Thanks...

P.S. Why do you guys use paper clips if you could just solder a wire to make a connection?

austin

Thanks for the tips.  Having some problems jumping 8 and 10.  I've inserted a bent paper clip into both pretty deep but nothing happens.  I'd be very grateful if someone could explain the exact process of inserting and depressing the PINs for someone with no experience.

Soundfx4

Do I have to pull the composite out for it to work?  I didn't pull it out and it isn't working, so I'm hoping that the problem lies in there.

oh btw, the stupid jacket DID come off easy!  I took the advice of several people here and slid two flat head screw drivers down either side and it really did slide right off!  haha, I couldn't believe it :P

Okay guys I need some help with this thing....My friend and I got it to work on his console just fine...but Im home now and im trying to do it on mine... the problem is when I try to bridge 8 and 10 I loose both sound and video, but when I pull the clip out I get both back...from what I understand and from the way it worked with his I should only loose video correct? Whats wrong?

Devnull

This work work for me. I put the paperclips in 7,9,11 also 8 & 10. When I jumper 8 and 10 together the composite video stops.

When I then jumper the paperclips in 7, 9 & 11 to the cables I cut up- all I can manage to get is a distorted picture, bad colors, distorted geometry, weird lines etc... I have been messing around this this for hours. Any ideas?

The best I can get is garbled video, weird lines, bad colors, bad geometry. I have been at this for hours.

okay got the sound issue worked out....actually i just moved on and it ended up working! Thing ive noticed on mine and my buddy's though is if you dont ground at least one wire you get a green fuzz around the edges.

Russell Beattie

Hey All,

After trying to modify the composite cable and only getting b&w images, and generally worrying about screwing up my Wii or cable completely, I decided to figure out a way to create my own composite plug to insert into the video socket instead.

I got it working last night, so I created a little print-out template and some basic instructions that you can read here.

Thanks to the guys who figured out all the details!  

-Russ

Chris

Excellent tutorial Russel -

To clarify -

You are still using your existing Wii cables for ground?
or - Do you have a "finished" photo of your cables connected to your homebrew connector?

Soundfx4

QuoteI just made my own mod using the pinouts provided. An easier way was to use the Wii Composite cable, use the 3-rca connectors as your Y, Pb, Pr. Crack open the black part of the connector out, just by sticking a flat head screwdriver in between the gray and black and pry out. Then use a sewing NEEDLE to poke into the front part of the connector to pull out the pins carefully. After all the pins are out of the connector, use the NEEDLE to make the little locking pin stick back up a little bit so when you put the pins in it's hole, it will stay put.

Just rearrange the pins to the correct holes using the diagram provided here. I had to connect all 3 ground, but I get Black and White video. I haven't connected audio yet. But doing this way seems alot easier than the Alligator clips and Paperclips. The secret tool is the NEEDLE!

So if someone can solve my Black and White issue, then this could be the most easiest cable mod I've made for a console. Last time I made a vga cable for the gamecube with  success and then sold on ebay.
Well I tried this needle trick and it isn't working.  The only thing the needle is doing is going in between that notch in the pin and nothing else.  It isn't releasing a locking pin or anything.  What exactly did you do?  Because you couldn't of just poked into the front part of the connector like you said.  Or maybe you are using a larger sewing needle?

Rakien

Felix

does anyone know if gamestop has the regular composite cables in stock? i was looking for a more permanent solution so i decided i can just buy a second set of composites and slip them in with their clips into the available holes for a more sturdy and clean cable. i tried with my gamecubes wires but their metal tips are thicker then the wii's so i couldt get them to "slide" in.

James

It's mentioned earlier in the thread, but could it be the case that if you don't bridge pins 8 and 10, pins 7, 9 and 11 are actually outputting RGB? I only have a vague understanding of component video, but if you fed one of the RGB channels into the component luma channel it'd give you a black and white image, wouldn't it?

I'm just wondering if it's worth me trying to build a SCART lead for my imported US Wii, rather than suffering composite until the official leads to come out over here.

Rakien

Umm...Could anyone please help me with the drawing I posted above?

Thanks.

NFG

QuoteIt's mentioned earlier in the thread, but could it be the case that if you don't bridge pins 8 and 10, pins 7, 9 and 11 are actually outputting RGB? I only have a vague understanding of component video, but if you fed one of the RGB channels into the component luma channel it'd give you a black and white image, wouldn't it?
No, RGB fed into a component video device would result in a mostly-green image, with very dark reds and blues (Assuming you mapped green->green, anyway).

QuoteUmm...Could anyone please help me with the drawing I posted above?
Why?  You've taking a known good pinout and, what, redrawn it?  Why can't you check your own work?  What part is confusing you?

You're asking random people to pull up two webpages and double-check the work of a stranger.  Normally around here we don't do your work for you, without a good reason.  Offer one up, or get to checking it yourself.  =)