Adding a SCART/RGB 21 socket to USA TV?

Started by GZeus, October 12, 2006, 03:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GZeus

Are there japanese brand TVs(this is all that makes sense as an option to me) that have the solder poinnts, but just aren't connected?
Hopefully Toshiba....

But in any case, I'd certainly steer my purchases in that direction.

-Martin-

There are a few American TVs that accept RGB on the Component/YUV input because they are wired to a chip that accepts both types of signals (and these components are simply linked up to a SCART input on a Euro TV) This is kind of destroying the SCART specification, since the official SCART spec doesnt accept Component or Prog.Scan. RGB, but newer sets do.

Endymion

My Panasonic plasma accepts RGB over its component jacks, but it is a "professional broadcast monitor," not a consumer set. I don't know how common this is amongst consumer sets, but I would not want to wager any amount of money on the price of one to just find out, there's too much precedent and momentum against it being the case stateside.

But, if you just want a SCART television, Samsung actually has some recent models for sale in the USA that have this. I have the 940MW, actually two of them, and they are pretty damn nice. Component, VGA, DVI and SCART. (And composite and S-video but who gives a crap about those.)

viletim!

I think the "empty SCART spot" is only found on TV sets which have a chassis (internal circuits) that might also be found inside a european TV. There's little chance of finding that in the US (or anywhere in NTSC land).

A modern TV that digitaly processes (weather a CRT, Plasma or LCD) the signal in some way will usualy support some kind of RGB input because the difference between Component and RGB in those sets is few lines of code in the TV's software. Unfortunately, the sets are usualy pretty expensive.

ido8bit

Are you looking for a new set or a used one?  16:9 or 4:3?

Posts on another forum I'm at suggest that Loewe sets have been sold in the USA.  All their sets have SCART RGB inputs, they've made some very nice CRT sets in both 4:3 and 16:9, some of the newer models do component and VGA as well.  I know nothing about their LCD sets though.

The RCA CTC-173 has an RGB input.  Some Thomson made RCA sets may share chassis with their Euro counterparts, but Thomson are rarely seen around here so I know nothing about them.

Sony PVMs have an RGB input, but it's not on a SCART connector on US models.  

GZeus

If a TV accepts RGB on the Color Difference jacks, where does the sync go?

And moreso I was looking to put a Japanese RGB21 socket on there(different pinout) for compatability with japanese leads.
Thus japanese brand.
I'll look into Loewe though, thank you.

kendrick

Sync on that connection type is generally transmitted on the wire carrying the green color signal. You'll notice in the Wiki and on the forums that a lot of projects involve the use of a circuit or chip to add or to remove the sync signal as needed.

-KKC, who now goes back to playing Phantasy Star Universe...

ido8bit

Unless you are actually in Japan there is probably no real advantage in using the Japanese 21 pin pinout.  Euro SCART leads are usually cheaper and easier to find at the various hk dealers.

GZeus

QuoteUnless you are actually in Japan there is probably no real advantage in using the Japanese 21 pin pinout.  Euro SCART leads are usually cheaper and easier to find at the various hk dealers.
It's 50/50 by the reviews.
The best reviewed upscan convertors use Japanese connectors.
So it's either change the occasional pinout on a connector I can open with a small screwdriver, or change the pinout on a $200 piece of electronics AND STILL change the occasional cable.

I don't normally feel the need to be this crass, but...Dude. BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT.

I'm SUGGESTING THAT I"D LIKE TO OPEN THE BACK OF MY TV AND BEGIN SOLDERING A CONNECTOR INTO IT.
I'd like to think someone saying that would know a thing or two about electronics.

Also, I'M GOING TO JAPAN AS SOON AS I CAN.

Two reasons your comment is pointless parade pissing.

/belligeRant

Nice version:
I see your point, but it's not valid.

GZeus

QuoteSync on that connection type is generally transmitted on the wire carrying the green color signal. You'll notice in the Wiki and on the forums that a lot of projects involve the use of a circuit or chip to add or to remove the sync signal as needed.

-KKC, who now goes back to playing Phantasy Star Universe...
So i'd need to make a circuit to add sync to green?
To be honest, I trust myself more at opening the TV and finding the RGB lines (all basic signal path electronics) than using chips of any kind and trying to breadboard things( algebraic thinking needed...).

I'll look into it.
And cry inside if it's not an extremely simple build.

Thanks regardless.

EDIT:
um....Could you point me to a link. I found nothing of use to me in regards to this on the Wiki.
The Y input on my TV is the same as the composite in on that input set on my TV, so this theory make sense so far.