VGA to Composite

Started by wonko7h3san3, December 25, 2003, 08:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wonko7h3san3

OK, here's the deal, I want to connect a VGA output to the composite in on an AV switchbox (it's a MAME cabinet if you mkust know). I built this thing so that I can wheel it away and store it when not in use, and the TV I want to connect it to does not have RGB, and the S-Video on the thing cuts out the composite which I need for my AV reciever, so I'm going to just hook the damned thing up to the switchbox I use for my consoles. Now the big question is, can I build something fairly inexpensive to do this (involving some kind of combiner circut for the RGB and sync signals) or is the easiest thing just going to be plunking down $80 for a scan converter?    

NFG

I've seen scan convertors go for as little as $40, they're not very expensive.  Be aware though the result of converting VGA to Composite is...  execrable.  Worse than bad.  

Tom61

If you want good composite out from your PC you need a made by ATI video card. ('Powered by' are typically crap) You'll also need the dongle for Composite out.

Scared0o0Rabbit

the radeon series of ati graphics cards all have composite out, I think you're refering to the Component dongle that they sell for their cards.

Feeling Scared? ^_~

Tom61

No, I mean the the thing that plugs into the ATI 7-pin port (S-Video hooks to it without an adapter) to give you RCA out. At least I think it's ATI that uses the 7-pin port... I know my 'powered by ATI' does.