GameCube Microphone Micro-Review

Started by Blaine, August 10, 2006, 03:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaine

Having my first experience with the GameCube Microphone via Odama (which I reviewed earlier tonight) here's a nutshell impression of the hardware.

Cheers: Functions very good. I didn't have any major problems with it regardless of distance from my face (Which I felt the Dreamcast Mic had issue with). The little snap-on Mic stand for your controller also worked surprisingly well. Initially I thought it interfaced via a control port, but instead it runs through a Memory Card slot, which is nice... I guess.

Jeers: Finally my WaveBird controller has a cord! I don't know what they could have done to make it wireless. It'd be too expensive to make it RF since it is just a giveaway Mic and the WaveBird has no interface (like the Dreamcast controller). So I guess I might as well dust off my old corded GameCube controller and at least get the benefit of the Rumble functionality. This is the first time that I've ever experienced where the standard GC controller is superior to the WaveBird. I suppose I could pick up an extension cord (I already have one but it belongs to my beloved GBA to GC cable for my beloved Pac-Man VS. action that I never get to play anymore).

That is all.
If you can mod it... I'll find a way to screw it up!