New server hardware

Started by NFG, April 16, 2006, 09:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NFG

So I upgraded the server, from a pathetic Pentium III 800MHz to a stompin' great P4 2.8GHz.  Doubled the RAM too.

But there are weirdisms afoot.  This morning I got 404 errors on the site, but things returned to normal once I specified the index page itself, not just the /directory/.  A couple of days ago the webserver crashed and didn't recover - that's the first time EVER.

Anyone else notice anything amiss?

Midori

Something didn't work for me a couple of days ago and I couldn't connect to the site at all, didn't last that long though.

kendrick

Having trouble starting threads and adding replies in IE. Let's see if it's my browser or my PC. If you see this reply, then obviously I'm an idiot.

-KKC, tired out after lots of heavy lifting.

NFG

Lately the webserver's been crashing, about once a day.  It seems to be the move to a new OS that causes it.  The guys who wrote the webserver are on the case!

My apologies for the downtime.  =(

Midori

I can't upload or link to a new avatar. Deleting the old one worked fine though... I've tried changing name and most obvious methods that often works as a solution. But no luck, is it just me or does this aply to everyone?

NFG

There are limits to the size (dimensions and filesize) of your avatar, but there should be no issues otherwise, as no part of the config was altered in the move.

Midori

There I got something right, but I had to save the pic as jpg. I first had it in png and bmp for a crisper picture quality but both of those refused to be uploaded, however jpg worked fine. Isn't bmp and png allowed? I thought it said so on the avatar settings page.

QuoteSo I upgraded the server, from a pathetic Pentium III 800MHz to a stompin' great P4 2.8GHz.  Doubled the RAM too.

But there are weirdisms afoot.  This morning I got 404 errors on the site, but things returned to normal once I specified the index page itself, not just the /directory/.  A couple of days ago the webserver crashed and didn't recover - that's the first time EVER.

Anyone else notice anything amiss?
You should have gone for a 4-Core AMD Opteron ;p

Now that would deliver stupidly high perdormance at the expence of a small sports car.

There's actuall a laptop with a 6Ghz proseccor made by AtomChip however they clock in at � Several Ten-Thousands.