SEGA Saturn Cable Question

Started by GamerGuyGLX, February 17, 2006, 02:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GamerGuyGLX

Hello all. I've recently acquired a brand new Sega Saturn (standard black North American model) and would like to know what the highest quality cable I can use to output with, without having to physical modify the console. I was told this is the best place to come to for a question like this. I currently own both a Sony KD-34XBR960 HDTV and Sony GDM-FW900 PC monitor.

Now I know RGB SCART is superior to S-video so I'm assuming RGB SCART is the highest quality cable to output with in this case (since you can only buy an RF, composite, S-video and RGB SCART cable for the Saturn). The thing is, RGB SCART is not a cable my American monitors can use obviously. So I was thinking of buying the Sega Saturn RGB SCART cable and converting the signal to component video with this adapter: http://www.converters.tv/products/converte...roducts/46.html. The only thing that I think is wrong with this configuration is with audio. Doesn't the Sega Saturn RGB SCART cable output video AND audio through the SCART cable itself (Here's a LINK to a picture of the cable)  In that case I don't think the converter would work because I would get no audio through the component end (since component cables only handle video). So really that brings me to square one. Am I stuck with S-video in this case or is there another way for me to use the RGB SCART cable and have audio? Is there an adapter/converter that takes an a/v RGB SCART cable and convert it to component with RCA audio output for example?

If anybody could help me that would be would be forever grateful.  :)

NFG

1. It's not RGB SCART, it's just RGB.  SCART is a multi-function connector, and some Saturn RGB cables (like the Japanese 21-pin connector that looks like SCART but isn't compatible) aren't even SCART.

2. If you want to use the RGB for your convertor and audio to another device, just split the signals up.  Make an adaptor.  Solder some wires, it's fun!

Midori

The scart cable carries both Audio and video signals, if you want to separate the audio part from the scart cable you'll only have to separate 3 wires in the scart connector and you've got you R audio, left audio and audio ground. Just solder these three wires to RCA connectors(or whatever you're using) and you've separated the audio part from the cable. It takes about 2 minutes and could be done by anyone, it's easy.

And there is actually a thing called RGB scart cable. It is a scart cable which carries RGB signals. The thing called scart cable doesn't nessecarily mean it carries RGB signal, they can be composite for example.

NFG

Midori: In the context he was using the phrase he was incorrect, or at least inaccurate.  "RGB SCART" isn't what's superior to svideo, RGB is.  RGB SCART is a subset of RGB, it is more accurate to say just RGB and, if caught early, correcting this minor error should lead to greater understanding in the future.

QuoteMidori: In the context he was using the phrase he was incorrect, or at least inaccurate.  "RGB SCART" isn't what's superior to svideo, RGB is.  RGB SCART is a subset of RGB, it is more accurate to say just RGB and, if caught early, correcting this minor error should lead to greater understanding in the future.
I know there is no such thing as an "RGB SCART" cable. I was just trying to emphasize why I wanted to use the SCART cable with the Saturn because it outputs in RGB.

Besides, I posted this in the AVSforum and they have given me the solution I was looking for (i.e: not having to physically alter anything with the Saturn). I am either going to purchase this RGB to Component converter or buy the RGB to component adapter I linked to in my original post and buy THIS to output audio.

Midori

Buying that to separate the audio works fine aswell, and if you wouldn't like to solder in the scart connector then it is a good solution for you. However it IS very simple to just solder the audio pins in the scart connector to two RCA jacks which is cheaper and more fun ;) But hey, it's your pick.

QuoteBuying that to separate the audio works fine aswell, and if you wouldn't like to solder in the scart connector then it is a good solution for you. However it IS very simple to just solder the audio pins in the scart connector to two RCA jacks which is cheaper and more fun ;) But hey, it's your pick.
Soldering something like that seems very... "ghetto" to me.

NFG

I suppose that if you consider people with the skill and ability to create their own solutions instead of pulling out their wallet and paying someone else to do the job 'ghetto' then you're probably on the wrong site.  =P

Joe

To the original poster of this topic:

I have a US Saturn, like you.  I have a Sony 34XBR960, like you.  And I also have the RGB SCART cable as well as the RGB to YUV converter that you pointed out (you will need to get a proper AC adapter at Radio Shack).  What I did for audio (since I use this for my SNES and Genesis as well) was simply solder an audio cable to the inside of the RGB to YUV converter... the pins are easily accessible and you can do a Google search for a SCART pinout to determine which is left, right, and audio ground (sometimes called audio return in the pinout readings).  Audio works great.  

What is NOT great is playing older games on an HDTV.  They look like ass, even with component.  That's because the TV sees 240p as 480i and upscales the 480i even more.  The image looks blocky, like an emulator.  The only games that should be played on an HDTV are on systems that support 480p or better like the Xbox.  For the Saturn and all of my older systems, I have them running on a very good STANDARD DEFINITION TV with component input.  I get 240p visuals and everything looks fantastic.  The arrow in the picture below is pointing to the stereo cable that I added.  It is not pinched or anything.  Nothing "ghetto" about it.  In fact I am enjoying better video than you are with audio because of my ghetto-ness.

Of course if this is just too much for you, stick with s-video.  S-video is really good on the Saturn.  Just don't play old games on an HDTV!  Now if you'll pardon me I need to get back to panhandling on the street.

Peyn

Speaking of sega saturns, I'm was going to mod my sega saturn when I found out that I needed a new soldering iron. Any recommendations? I'll be going to radio shack tonight, so please post your 2� asap.