News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Where/What to Buy?

Started by ben, October 19, 2005, 12:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben

Just wondering where a nice guy (myself :D) that lives in the US could pick up a X68000?  I've been watching eBay for the better part of a year and haven't seen anything except software.  I've also checked Yahoo Auctions Japan less frequently but haven't found a seller willing to ship to the US yet.  (And, with nfg sales ending I'm starting to believe I missed my only chance)

Any ideas?  

Anyone selling one?

Also, what's a good starter setup?  Keep in mind where I'm located and the problems I'd have finding upgrades, expansions, etc.

Thanks!

NFG

If you want one I can get you one easily.  I still ship a lot of gear out of Japan, but keep in mind the price will hurt.  Here's a rough guide to what you can expect to pay:

$120 for the basic system on a good day, up to $150 with a few accessories.
$120 for shipping via slow-ass mail (30-60 days).  Double this price if you want a monitor.

You'll want a 2MB model 'cause it plays 99% of the games, and as long as you get a keyboard you're more or less set.  It's easy to modify a genesis pad (or similar) to work with it, and you don't need a mouse for most games.  The monitor will make your life easier, but it's not strictly required.  Most games will work on a VGA monitor, all you need is an adaptor for the RGB connector (easy to make).

You won't need upgrades or expansions unless you get really seriously into it, but the prices are pretty cheap.  MIDI and SCSI cards are typically less than $60, and don't weigh much.  HDs are useless unless you're good with Japanese.

Does that help?

ben

Thanks for the help Lawrence.  I'll keep those numbers in mind and see if I really want one.   :)  

Akir

Didn't you say that the X68000 used the same pads as Atari, Amiga, and MSX computers used? I use an unmodified generic Genesis Gamepad on my Amiga.

NFG

The pinout isn't quite the same, and it's dangerously different.  Pins seven and eight are quite different - 7 is select on the Genny, button 2 on the X68.  8 is 'out' on the X68, GND on the Genny.

Otherwise they are the same.

Akir

So that's why my keyboard stops working! :P

Anyways, I'm just using it because I havn't been to Game Repair lately. Heck, I might just hack it. I have three anyways.

FM-77

Wow. What a crowded forum. That's a shame. I love the X68000. Too bad I don't have one.  :P

Did you say $120-150 for a computer? Are you serious? That's really cheap! How come the ones you've been selling on the site have been at $300-500?

So if I buy one of these computers supposedly at $120-150, I'll be all set to run my insanely huge collection of X68000 software? (Okay, I lied. I don't have that many games .... yet).

Thanks in advance.  :ph34r: (that ninja has nothing to do with anything.)

NFG

QuoteDid you say $120-150 for a computer? Are you serious? That's really cheap! How come the ones you've been selling on the site have been at $300-500?
Well I buy them used, then clean them, test them, repair them, bundle some software and accessories, and offer a warranty.  You get none of that from any other source.  More often than not the systems you get from me include a brand new super slimline ATX power supply custom fitted to the system.  Original X68 powersupplies tend to fail, 2/3 of the working units I had failed during testing.  It sucks.  =(

Personally I don't think $150 extra is much to pay for all this extra work.  =)

FM-77

Oh, you do all that. But that's the fun part!  :)

So you can actually use an ATX power supply for them? That's very interesting. Since I live in Europe, It would be excellent to put an European power supply in there, to avoid having to use adapters and such.

Another question - can I hook it up to my TV instead of using monitors?

So you could actually get ahold of an X68000 system quite easily?

While we're at this, could you also get ahold of NEC PC-8801, NEC PC-9801, Fujitsu FM-7 /77/77AV or Sharp X1 systems? Any idea what those would cost?

Thanks a bunch.

Adeptus

QuoteWhile we're at this, could you also get ahold of NEC PC-8801, NEC PC-9801, Fujitsu FM-7 /77/77AV or Sharp X1 systems? Any idea what those would cost?
Since we're doing wishlists...  ;)
How about a SX-32 expansion for Amiga CD32; or a NeoGeo arcade PCB?