News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Some X68k questions

Started by Pingu, September 23, 2005, 06:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pingu

Well I'm getting to the point where I feel I really need to get one of them X68k machines but I do have some questions about them.

As I actually need to get one (and they're not exactly plentiful in Europe) I wonder how much a unit weights.
Would also be kinda interesting to know how much the monitor is.
Is the video output connector some standard thing that can be bought in electronic stores and well.
Those systems that came without HDs, you can add them can't you?
Another question about the ones with scsi controllers, can you use external scsi CDs or HDs?

edit:
And one more ^^;
Is the x68030 backwards compatible?

NFG

They weigh a lot.  10-12kg with kb and mouse.  Monitors are basically free but they weigh 14kg+.  Video output is described on gamesx.com.  You can't easily add HDs because SASI HDs are very hard to find.  A SCSI controller works with SCSI devices, it doesn't matter if it's internal or not.

The X68030 is backwards compatible, though there's no reason to spend 4x for an '030.

Pingu

Ah, found it, thank you.
Is it possible to use new scsi drives (with adapters) and just having them formated to a size that can be handled by it?
Also, can you dual boot these machines? Would be kinda fun to fool around with other operating systems on them.

Hmm, might be true but if you get something as nice looking as this, I guess your pretty much set unless something breaks on you, where as you end up getting one of the earlier models you might want to upgrade at some point spending even more cash.

Aidan

SASI and SCSI 1 are pretty close - SCSI adds a few new commands, and defines an extra line, so driving SASI drives from a SCSI card is a bit dicy. The reverse is less of a problem, as the SCSI drive supports more commands than the SASI controller.

Issues you might run into are to do with parity (I think came in in SCSI), and finding a narrow SCSI drive that still talks SCSI 1. You might well be able to find one (or several) second hand and at a relatively cheap price at one of the online auction places. Of course this is no guarantee that it'll work, but in theory it should.

Forget using a new SCSI drive - Most use a different method for signalling (LVD - Low voltage differential) rather than the old single ended bus.  
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

Computolio

I'm not even sure if there IS such a thing as a SASI drive. I've never even seen a picture of one.

SCSI-1 or Narrow SCSI-2 drives are super easy to find. Almost all Macs older than the beige G3 have them.

Of course, getting a hard drive to work in an X68000 must be a nightmare even if you know Japanese.

Aidan

Yes, SASI drives did exist, but a long long time ago. I suspect that most SASI drives went by the wayside when SCSI 1 took the market. After all, an early SCSI 1 drive would work just fine on a SASI controller.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

Computolio

I wonder what the cutoff point is? Most of the SCSI drives I've seen up to 2GB in size can have their parity signal disabled via jumpers.

Also: I've heard that an X68000 won't boot without a keyboard/mouse attached. Is this true?

NFG

QuoteAlso: I've heard that an X68000 won't boot without a keyboard/mouse attached. Is this true?

Who tells you such lies?

Computolio

QuoteAlso: I've heard that an X68000 won't boot without a keyboard/mouse attached. Is this true?

Who tells you such lies?

I think it was someone on the Digital Press boards.

Also, how impossible is it to make a keyboard or mouse from anything else work with one? The majority of X68000s I've seen on Yahoo Auctions Japan come with neither.

NFG

systems that include neither are the exception, not the rule, in my experience.  

As for replicating them, forget it.  You can do without a mouse, very very few games use it, but the keyboard is much more useful.  A lot of games use it for starting, navigating, resetting, inserting credits, etc.

cdoty

QuoteAs I actually need to get one (and they're not exactly plentiful in Europe) I wonder how much a unit weights.
I just got a X68000 PRO with keyboard, mouse and, joystick. The power supply has been converted to use regular ATX power supplies.

The weight for the system was 15kg (roughly $80 shipping to the US using surface mail).

I payed roughly $100 using Yahoo Japan (and Shopping Mall Japan). That included the winning bin of 7250 Yen, internal shipping and, SMJ fees.
Visit RasterSoft on facebook or visit the website.