News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

The boot

Started by Akir, September 03, 2005, 09:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akir

I just wanted to know if anyone knows any good bootloader. I need one that is easy to use and doesn't need any complex configuration. I also need it to run off of my FAT32 partition, as I can't currently access the EXT3 partition.

viletim!

something like loadlin ?

Akir

actually, no. I'm not sure what kernel I'm running so...

Aidan

What's wrong with the bootloader on your current machine? It might be easier to fix that then to screw around with loaders that run from a machine that's already booted. After all, most Linux distributions allow you a rescue boot so you can fix any issues. You just have to remember the partition mapping.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

Akir

I just fixed my problem. Actually, I fixed it a while ago, but I havn't come round in a while.

I ended up (for no appearant reason) reinstalling operating systems (something that I deserve an award for doing so much) and after solving that I should install windows first on a small partition, then I should install linux because the people at Ubuntu are better then Gates, and decided that "Hey, we should include a bootloader! And, what the hack, an autoconfigure script!"

Aidan

All OSes on PCs have boot loaders, otherwise they wouldn't boot. However, I've tended to use the NT boot loader to boot other OSes, as it cuts down on hassle at later points. Also, if you have a choice between LILO and GRUB, I'd go for GRUB. Why? Well, if you have to alter the configuration of LILO, it requires editing a file and then re-writing the bootsector. GRUB just requires you to edit a file, as no dynamic information is stored in the bootsector.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]