News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Monitor Issues

Started by Chuplayer, July 04, 2005, 06:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuplayer

My Dell P991 monitor is acting weird. The screen sometimes flickers. The flicker goes horizontally across the screen. I have yet to see it go vertically. Also, it seems like the flickering doesn't take up the whole screen, but an area about two centimeters up and down. Most of the rest of the screen remains normal.

The monitor also sometimes acts like it turns off and then on really fast, and it makes a weird noise when it does that. It was sort of a coarse "bzshhh" sort of noise.

What can I do to fix this problem? Thanks in advance, everybody.

NFG

It's failing and will likely die.  My Sony did that recently - it's a great excuse to pick up a fantastic LCD to replace it.

Chuplayer

QuoteIt's failing and will likely die.  My Sony did that recently - it's a great excuse to pick up a fantastic LCD to replace it.
Yeah, I thought you'd say that. I have had it for nearly five years now. Haven't looked at LCD monitors (hell, monitors at all) in a long time. Maybe the prices for the monitors won't be astronomically high anymore. I could use a little more desk space, too.

My monitor's not acting up right now, though. I guess I can squeeze a few more miles out of it.

kendrick

You can get a decent 15 inch LCD panel for what, $150 now? And the LCD screens tend to have much larger viewable areas than correspondingly-sized CRT screens. The only issue is that LCD screens have a native resolution and don't scale to other screen sizes very well. Not a problem for PC output, but maybe an issue if you're converting output from your game consoles or your Dreamcast or whatever.

-KKC, who's posting too much for a holiday.