Modding a Genesis to Play Japanese Imports

Started by jaycook, April 13, 2005, 01:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaycook

Can someone explain to me or provide me a link on how you Mod a Genesis (I have a Model 2) to allow you to play Japanese Import Carts?
Thanks!!! RTFM  

dj898

wouldn't MagicKey III be easier to play JPN import than opening the console?
of coz provided you can find MKIII in the first place...

jaycook

That would be easier...but they are impossible to find and if you could...I have heard they are more expensive than Modding a Genesis...esp since you need to use a 50/60switch to play the PAL version of Alien Soldier in the US anyway B)  

phreak97

japanese games arent pal.. do you want to play pal games or japanese games?

dj898

QuoteThat would be easier...but they are impossible to find and if you could...I have heard they are more expensive than Modding a Genesis...esp since you need to use a 50/60switch to play the PAL version of Alien Soldier in the US anyway B)
hmm...
forgot about that...
having PAL TV I often forgot about 50/60Hz issue... :P

I agree with the scarcity of MagicKey III.
The last one I saw went for 5000 yen (about $49) on Yahoo Japan last week...
I would be easier to mod Megadrive/Genesis - if you have enough skill to perform...
and that dual BIOS mod as well - although from what  D-Lite said it's not easy mod to do...

phreak97

genesis doesnt need a dual bios.. just a new crystal..

dj898

does it applied to Megadrive as well?
I may pick up PAL Megadrive down the track for mod project...

phreak97

yeah, as far as im aware, the only difference between genesis and a megadrive, is the 50/60hz and the crystal. speaking of which, i am looking for an ntsc genesis crystal.. if anyone wants to send me one over for a few bucks, let me know