Gamecube Disk Read Error

Started by Ultimate Dev'r, March 27, 2005, 02:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultimate Dev'r

I can play my games on my GC for about 5 minutes before I get a DRE. I then clean the disk, put it back in, then get the same error about 2 minutes later. Help? I've tried cleaning the lense, it doesn't work; it's not the disks, because this happens to all of my GC games, even after I've cleaned them. I've tried to open it up and recalibrate the cd/dvd pots, but I can't seem to get my screwdriver working. I heard somewhere that you can melt a pen into the screw to get a homemade screwdriver, but the pen keeps breaking whenever I try to turn a screw with it.

NFG

It's probably not something you can fix.  Replace it or send it in for repair, is my suggestion.  I know if it were mine I wouldn't try fixing it.

NFG

It's probably not something you can fix.  Replace it or send it in for repair, is my suggestion.  I know if it were mine I wouldn't try fixing it.

Ultimate Dev'r

I had this same problem with my PS2 after I failed at soldering my first modchip, and I was able to fix it. I'm preety sure that if the lense calibration isn't off, then I'll just buy a new laser. I posted this topic mainly to ask those who have created their own screwdrivers using melted pens or something.

phreak97

buy a gamebit screwdriver or bitset.. i can not see a pen working properly in any way at all...

Yeah...I ran out of pens to burn :lol:, so my Dad just told me to buy the screwdriver.  

Ultimate Dev'r

Well, my Dad brought me to the supermarket to buy more pens and this really neat 'Jet Nozzle' lighter, and I got the BIC Pen Metho to work :D B)

Okay, here's what you do:

1. Take a bottle of Pam, and spray into the hole where your screw resides. Pour out the excess Pam. This is to keep the plastic from bonding to places it shouldn't.

2. Remove the pen cap and the ink from your BIC Cristal Ball Point Pen (Note: It MUST be that style of pen, else it won't work; found that out the hard way :))

3. Turn on your lighter, and put the flame just under where the tip of the pen is, until it begins to melt, then quickly jam it into the socket with the screw you wish to remove.

4. Align the pen directly over the screw and press firmly into place, making sure it stays straight. Hold it there for about 30 seconds, then let go. Wait about 15 minutes, then come back to your pen. After 15 minutes, attempt to unscrew the pen. If before you begin to unscrew the screw with the pen, you notice that the pen moves at all, you have done it wrong and need to repeat the melting process.

5. Use some pliers to get the pen to start unscrewing. Then, slowly unscrew until the screw comes out.

6. Clean up your area, and repeat for the next screw. Remember, each pen is molded to fit only one screw, and since these pens are only barely strong enough to hold the stress of unscrewing a screw, you must remelt the pen after each attempt at unscrewing a screw, either successful or unsuccessful.

After I did all this, I went to adjust my laser pot; it was at 500 OHMS!! So, I set it lower and lower, and no matter what value I put it at, the errors wouldn't go away :( So I have now ordered a new Gamecube laser off of EBay. And I also got my bit set today (kinda late; I had already done my BIC pen method of making screwdrivers successfully two days ago :D At least these will be a little bit more permanent though.)

EDIT: And this may also be of help to you guys here: http://www.ps2nfo.com/viper.html#7

phreak97

its alot quicker to put my gamebit in my electric screwdriver and have the whole lot out in about 15 seconds, rather than spend a whole day on getting the screws out, then having no way of putting them back.

btw, you really should use a multimeter to get the resistance right...

But if you do not have a gamebit screwdriver, you'd have to either buy one and wait for shipping, or spend two hours to get it open. I was in a hurry hoping that I would be able to fix it that weekend.

Ultimate Dev'r

Well, it turns out that readjusting the pot didn't work as hoped; so I bought a new laser; still didn't work, then last night I took out the spindle, messed with it, put it back in, made sure the disk was level, and voila! Working Gamecube! :D

Quotebtw, you really should use a multimeter to get the resistance right...

Quotefter I did all this, I went to adjust my laser pot; it was at 500 OHMS!! So, I set it lower and lower, and no matter what value I put it at, the errors wouldn't go away sad.gif

Hmm...now how did I get 500 Ohms without a multimeter...... :P j/k

atom

Hey thats awesome, I have fixed several electronics before by simply taking them apart and back together. This kind of thing is very sensitive to how its put together.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Ultimate Dev'r

Yes; but still so much easier than a PS2 :) After repairing my PS2 after a failed modchip attempt, this Gamecube problem was like a walk in the park. If I had a digital camera, I would make a guide on this, since there is no guide out there for free that tells you how to replace a Gamecube Laser. Heh, maybe I'll be remembered by it :P

phreak97

theres no guide out there for replacing a gamecube laser because hardly any of them actually break and need replacing.. unlike sony, nintendo go for quality: "can i play soccer with your cube while youre using it? sure.. i dont see the harm in that, just make sure the cables stay in and it shouldnt skip at all".. sony tend to go for "omg look at this new console, isnt it pretty? NO! DONT TOUCH IT!! it might stop working...."

Ultimate Dev'r

:lol: So true...

I've begun work on my guide; I have pictures and some video on how to take it apart and stuff. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it by the end of this month, depending on how much time I get to work on it.

atom

Yeah, I remember pressing power on my Dads sony amp. The button went right inside, he was so pissed... at me! I also remember buying my first gamecube, bringing it home and all I got were DREs. When I tried returning it to the store they hardly believed me! So it does happen, but It's probably more likely to be dead when you get it then it breaking down from normal use.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

phreak97

yeah, i'd say if it works, itll keep working. the gamecube was nintendo's first console to take discs, so i guess a few initial stuff ups are allowed:P mine though has been to hell and back, and with probably over 2000 hours power time.. over 1000 on ssbm alone. and it's still fighting strong. my ps2s have been treated like royalty, with less than a quarter of the power time with the two combined, and both refuse to work well.. they work, just not well..